4

BLOODLINES
— 4. Comfort

     It was nighttime during the celebrations and Marie was walking through the courtyard, searching for Harry

"I love you, I love you," She heard someone moan and Marie tensed up as she spotted Harry from afar.

    She turned again, noticing the moans were coming from Charlie and Kathy, who found themselves in a dark corner, not realizing they were on the verge of being caught.

Marie quickly rushed over to Harry with a smile on her face, hoping to distract him long enough for Kathy and Charlie to realize they were on the verge of being caught.

"Harry!" Marie exclaimed happily, causing Harry to smile as well as he watched Marie walk over to him.

"Marie. What are you doing in the courtyard this late at night?" Harry asked Marie, a genuinely concerned look on his face.

"Looking for you," Marie replied and it wasn't a lie.

"Is that so?" Harry questioned in a taunting tone and Marie smiled, nodding her head in response.

"Come," Marie insisted, grabbing ahold of Harry's hand, "Let us talk."

Harry nodded, the two of them holding hands as they walked together, in the opposite direction of where Kathy was with Charlie.

___

"Have courage, child," Lady Margaret told her granddaughter, Meg, as she led her over to the Scots.

Upon entering the room, Meg fearfully glanced over at her mother and then back at the Scots, who stood alongside her father.

They turned to look at her, stopping their conversation the moment they had seen her enter the room.

Despite feeling uneasy, Meg tried to hide it as she curtsied before the unknown man.

"I'll dispatch a message to Edinburgh," The man informed Henry in a calm tone, "To let the king know we have a treaty."

"Then she'll...suit him?" Henry asked, an uneasy look on his face as he glanced over to his second-oldest daughter.

"She's young. That suits him well," He replied, letting out a large sigh.

"Meg, you know these...gentlemen," Henry awkwardly informed his daughter as the Scottish men bowed their heads to her, "They've ridden from King James."

"Scottish thugs, Father?" Meg retorted with an attitude, "Men who raid our land and kill our people."

"William Dunbar is the most celebrated poet in Scotland," Margaret quickly spoke up, trying to ease the tension.

"And an eloquent ambassador," Henry added in, forcing a smile onto his face as he felt the tension between all of them, "King James and I have brokered peace between our two countries that will put an end to our grievances, a peace that will be sealed with your marriage."