37

BLOODLINES
— 37. Revelations

 At court celebrations, Marie sat beside her husband, across from Henry and Catherine

At court celebrations, Marie sat beside her husband, across from Henry and Catherine. She could feel Catherine's stare burning into her, but she didn't dare look the queen's way. She was too ashamed.

"We're a burden to your household, Wolsey," Edward spoke up, causing Marie to turn to glance at her husband, "But you serve us all on such fine French gold plate. Do you have a wealthy wife stowed away out of sight?"

"Everything you see here is a gift from the devout and the faithful," Wolsey assured him, a smile on his face.

"I've heard you have a hidden mistress and two bastards," Charlie commented, earning an amused smile from Marie.

"There will always be malicious talk," Wolsey pointed and Marie turned to see Catherine continuing to stare at her, "The Lord grants me the grace to weather it. Oh, and the Pope has sent word that he has made me Cardinal."

Hearing the man's words, Marie's eyes widened. She turned, exchanging a shocked look with her husband.

Henry glanced between Charlie, Edward, and Marie, smiling in satisfaction at how each of their faces fell at the news. They were clearly not happy about it. Kathy wouldn't have been, either. And that was the problem.

Charlie and Edward could make as many antagonizing and hateful comments about Wolsey as they pleased, but without Kathy there to back them, those words and threats did nothing to change anything regarding Wolsey and his increasing power. He continued to grow more powerful and closer to the king while the rest of them lost power and their bonds with Henry. Times like these were where Kathy's power came in handy, but Kathy wasn't there. She was across the channel, married to King Louis as his queen.

"May I be the first to offer my congratulations, Cardinal, and that of my family," Boleyn spoke up, causing Marie to scoff as she turned to her husband.

"Brownnoser," She muttered and Edward nodded in agreement.

"Well, to the ever-rising Wolsey, eh?" Henry spoke up as she raised his glass.

Unable to take it anymore, Catherine stood up, leading to everyone else having to do the same. Catherine began to walk away and since she was still one of her attending ladies, Marie began to follow close behind.

"Felicitations must also be extended to His Grace, the king..." Wolsey trailed off and Charlie looked up, already having the feeling he knew what the man was about to say, "who sires another child."

Marie immediately froze in place, her eyes widening in alarm. She turned and exchanged a look with Charlie, knowing what was about to occur.

Wolsey would be killing two birds with one stone if he announced that Marie was carrying Henry's child. He'd shame Catherine but he'd also damage the reputation of Edward Stafford when it was revealed that his wife was the one pregnant with Henry's child. And Catherine and Edward seemed to be the ones at court that opposed Wolsey the most.