5

BLOODLINES
— 5. Grief

It was the morning of Arthur's funeral

It was the morning of Arthur's funeral. Henry walked into his chambers, finding Lizbeth sitting in front of the fireplace. She was staring blankly at the fire, her hair down, not even close to being ready for her son's funeral.

He sighed in defeat, slowly making his way over to her. He grabbed her by the hand and knelt in front of her. "Why would God take him from us?" Lizbeth asked, slowly turning to look at Henry with tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

"He sent us another," Henry added in softly as he pressed a hand over her growing belly.

Lizbeth remained silent, not responding to what Henry had said.

Henry sighed in defeat, lifting his hand to move the hair out of Lizbeth's face. "Please, my love. Try and eat something before we leave," He pleaded, fearing for his wife's wellbeing.

"I'm not hungry," Lizbeth whispered, shaking her head in disapproval.

"Lizbeth—" Henry began to argue, only to have Lizbeth cut him off.

"I said, I'm not hungry!" Lizbeth growled at Henry, causing the man to look saddened.

____

    At Arthur's wedding, everyone else was already inside. However, as Catherine arrived, Marie was standing outside, waiting for her.

"Princess Catherine," Marie called out as Catherine went to walk past her.

Catherine stopped walking, turning to look at Marie. "I am sorry for your loss," She told the Spanish princess, a sympathetic look on her face, "Your loss has endeared you to the people. They share your grief."

"They didn't know him," Catherine replied in a calm tone.

"My own grief is defiled by guilt," Marie confessed, a saddened look on her face, "I sometimes find myself thinking I could have stopped it in a way, that I could have stopped someone else I cared about from dying."

"I feel that as well," Catherine admitted in a whisper, "But we couldn't have. Nothing could have stopped the sweat from taking him, especially not us."

"Perhaps you're right," Marie replied after a moment, nodding her head in understanding, "May I lead you in, Princess Catherine?"

Catherine smiled slightly and nodded her head. She held her arm out and the duo wasted no time walking in together.

When they had entered, many people began to whisper amongst themselves. Kathy and Harry frowned, exchanging a look with each other.

As Lizbeth laid eyes on them, she began to glare, unhappy that Marie and Catherine had walked in together. They were the last two people she wanted to spend time together.