Flutter Bat

As It Should Be

 One: Flutter Bat

"The best revenge is to not be like your enemy." – Marc Aurelius

Zuko never really thought about it, but he knew all along that she was a force to be reckoned with. He noticed it was getting harder and harder to block her water whips and abrogate her gushing waves ever since they had met at the North pole. Seeing it firsthand, however, and not on the receiving end, made him more aware of this fact. It sent chills down his spine.

The captain goes limp as the waterbender's fingers pulled on the invisible strings like a puppeteer. Zuko's eyes widen in realization. She's bending his blood. He gulps, his stomach churns, and decides never to mention it. He makes a mental note to try to stay on her good side. Then without a moment to waste, they seek out Yon Rha. After following him through town and then ultimately frightening the old man, they depart without leaving a single scratch on him.

The full moon dangles from the midnight sky, the silence nipping at them as much as the cool breeze. Katara grips Appa's reins tighter, her mind still on the man she scared witless a few hours prior. Gritting her teeth, she silently scolded herself for being too kind. The man deserved to be punished, treated the same way he treated her mother, but a hundredfold.

Her hand goes to her neck, feeling for the carved texture of her mother's necklace for comfort. Maybe her mother wouldn't have been so happy if she did hurt the man, she thought. Maybe it was what Kya would have done herself. She sighed; she was exhausted.

"Why don't you rest," He takes the reins from her hands. "I'll fly us back." He says as he settles beside her on Appa's nape. Startled, she looks at him. "Are...you sure?" She asks, reluctant.

"Don't worry. I won't kidnap you while you're asleep." His voice fading into a raspy sort of whisper in the still night.

Katara's brows furrow, slightly upset with his remark, yet relinquishes Appa's reins without much of a fight. She didn't want to admit it, but the anger she held on to, pushing her to bend beyond her usual limits did quite a number on her, she could use some rest.

With careful steps, she moves to the saddle, allowing herself to exhale and relax her strained muscles. Resting her arms against the pommel, the waterbender stares at the entirety of Zuko's back as he remains focused on steering the bison.

She hadn't realized how much she'd been snapping at him since he joined their little group. All her rage and loathing of the Fire Nation had been unconsciously directed at Zuko, and yet here he was, urging her to sleep while he stays up the rest of the night to bring them back to camp. With their field trip coming to an end, she suddenly feels a tiny pang of guilt for having treated Zuko the way she did.

She had good reason, she convinced herself, yet she still felt somewhat ashamed of her actions towards the firebender. She shakes her head. She knows that Zuko knows her emotions were justified, he said it himself. But Katara's conscience just wouldn't shut up.

"I don't really know why you did this..." She starts, trying to find the right words. "But I appreciate it."

Her words float into the night for a second, then for a minute with no response. Katara huffs, thinking that he had completely ignored her. She rolls her eyes and was about to turn her back on him and lay down to get some sleep when he looked over his shoulder and smiled, his gesture barely visible in the dark.

_______________________

"Zuko told me what you did...or what you didn't do, I guess." Aang scratches his head. "I'm proud of you."