Chapter 2

Dinah called Lemah, her maid-servant.  It was late afternoon, the sun just setting.  Dinah nervously walked up and down in her room, awaiting her maid-servant, was she strong enough to carry out her plan. 
The room door opened, Lemah peered round the door.  "Is everything alright, my lady?"
She was not used to being beckoned so late in the day.
"Come in....close the door"
Looking into Lemah's worried eyes, Dinah said,
"My heart is heavy and I know I have no right to ask of you the sacrifice, which I am about to ask.  But whether you answer yes or no, promise me you will not repeat our discussion to anyone."
Lemah, although feeling apprehensive, nodded vigorously.   Dinah pointed to the couch, "Sit, and listen carefully" Taking a deep breath, she continued, 
"As you know" she hesitated, then said,  "I am with child.  I have been trying to hide this from my family, especially my brothers.  I know that because Shechem was the father, when this child is born Simeon and Levy will kill the child, as they did his father.  I have prayed to our God and He has answered me.  He has said that I should leave our family for three seasons, and hasten to Egypt.  I haven't told our father Jacob where I am going, but I did tell him I am pregnant and that I should go away and hide the child and he agreed with me.  So, if I have treated you well, and have gained your allegiance and loyalty, I ask of you, please, would you accompany me on this journey and seek a safe place for my baby, wherever the Lord our God leads us."
Dinah didn't know if, by the look on Lemah's face, she was excited or scared, but her maid-servant answered.  "Oh my lady!   If the God of your father has spoken to you, then do not disobey Him.  Seek a place of safety for your child.  I was with you when your brothers Simeon and Levy murdered prince Shechem and his father, Hamor, and brought you back to your father's house.  To this day their anger shows greatly when they speak about what happened to you. 
You have treated me more like a sister than a servant.  If you should go what will become of me.  They will torture me and call me a liar if I do not tell them where you are.  To stay here will be a fate worse than death.  I will be your servant and stay at your side wherever your God leads us."
Dinah smiled, "From today you shall be my friend, if we laugh, if we cry, we shall do it together.  Thank you for agreeing to go with me. The Lord has showed me that we must leave tonight.  Please pack some suitable clothes for me.  For yourself also.  Try and smuggle some food from the pantry.  Stack everything in the field by the stable and wait for me there.  When it is dark, before the moon rises, we will take a donkey, load the bags and be on our way.
For three days and three nights be prepared to sleep very little.  We must put a good distance between us and this place before we can rest easy.
My father has agreed not to alarm the family of our departure for as long as possible.  Now go, and may the Lord send His angels to go before us.

It was late afternoon when they entered the city of On.   The situation they found themselves in was dire indeed.  More than three and a half months had passed since they had set out from Jacob's house.
Travel weary and having spent all Dinah's money she had saved up for the journey, was the least of their worries.  The journey, arduous for a normal person, was just too much for a pregnant woman. 

Falling off the donkey but hanging onto it's neck, Dinah called to Lemah who was leading the beast.
"I can't go on....I...."
Dinah slid down the side of the donkey and collapsed on the ground.  Lemah didn't know what to do, so she started screaming.
Most of the passers-by, did exactly that, passed by.
One very tall, very distinguished looking person with a large bundle of scrolls beneath his arm, and not the kind of person, going on appearances, that you would expect to take any notice of one feinted and one screaming woman, stopped and awkwardly stuttered, "Could I be of some assistance?"
Lemah looked at the man and immediately stopped screaming.  Partly because her throat was starting to burn, but mostly because the man and the way he was attired made her feel quite embarrassed.
She meekly replied "Kind sir, my friend is with child and we have travelled far, and she has fallen from the donkey in a feint.  I know not what to do.  We are strangers in this city.  We know no-one."
The stranger realised he would have to take charge of the situation, but not having much experience with pregnant or hysterical women, knew he would have to get help.  With a soothing voice and trying to think rationally, he said, "Firstly, let me tie your donkey to this pole so that it cannot decide to run away with all your belongings.  Then let me help you maneuver your friend into a sitting position.....there, that's better, can't have passers-by trampling all over her.  I was on my way to visit a friend of mine, the high priest of our sun god, Ra no less.  I'm sure him or his wife will be able to help.  Their abode is not far away." And with that the stranger vanished off down the road. 

Lemah didn't really think that the stranger would come back, but was too tired to care.  She went to the donkey and retrieved the flask of drinking water and a piece of cloth.  Returning to Dinah she sat down beside her and wetting the cloth, gently wiped her face.  Glad of the break, there was nothing she could do until Dinah came out of her feint.

Meanwhile, Horus, for such was the stranger's name, made haste to his friend, Potiphera's house.  After cordially exchanging greetings, the agitated Horus explained the predicament he had become involved in, earnestly requested help.
It was Potiphera's wife who immediately sprang into action.  Calling for three of their servants to accompany them and to bring a stretcher, she and Horus set off down the road to find the stranded young women. 
They quickly reached the place where Lemah and Dinah still sat on the side of the road.  Dinah had regained consciousness but was so weak and confused that she said nothing and only murmured when spoken to.  Seleikha, Potiphera's wife, arranged for two of the servants to place Dinah on the stretcher and carry her to Seleikha's home.  The third servant would lead the donkey back to Potiphera's stables and release him of his burdens.  Lemah returned with Horus and Seleikha to Potiphera's house.

After arriving at the house, Dinah was put to bed in one of the spare rooms and a physician was summoned. Lemah was also given a room of her own and asked to strip off her travel stained tunics and take a warm, scented, soaking bath, which the servants prepared for her. All her clothes, as well as all Dinah's clothes were taken to be washed. After bathing, Lemah was given some of Seleikha's own clothes to wear. Horus, who had stayed on to see if he could render any further assistance, waited patiently in the dining room with Seleikha and Potiphera. When at last Lemah was led into the dining room to have something to eat, Horus rose automatically out of courtesy, dismay clearly showing on his face. It was Potiphera though, who put words to his own (and Horus's) surprise, "My good lady, what mistery has the dust and grime of travelling been hiding. We would not have recognised you if you were not present in our house. How delightful you look. You must feel so refreshed and I think that after some food, you will feel even better. So come sit and eat"
Lemah was not a beautiful woman, but had a very pleasing and open countenance that lit up like the sun when she smiled. Her hair, always tied up, to not interfere with her servants duties, still slightly wet, hung down to below her shoulders in a cascading mass of waves. This added most favourably to the picture that now presented itself in the form of Lemah.

Seleikha casting her eyes from her husband to Horus just smiled and shook her head. How easily men are swayed by a woman's appearance.

The physician had come and having checked on Dinah, calmed everyone's fears by saying that the expectant woman had suffered no serious injury. He prescribed lots of rest and nutritious food, and he would pop in again in a few days time.

Seleikha insisted that the two woman stay with her and her husband, and would not hear of any talk of leaving, at least not until the baby was born.

This desicion pleased Horus immensely and insisted on escorting Lemah on trips to see the sights of his beautiful city. He also insisted on buying Lemah a whole new wardrobe. Lemah blossomed under all this attention. Dinah was very pleased. She had introduced Lemah as a friend, making no mention of her servanthood. Dressed in beautiful clothes, Lemah looked convincingly like a lady of class, and not a maid-servant.