Chapter VI

As much as I wanted to sink back into my bed, my eyes wouldn't close and my brain wouldn't shut up. I was on my feet within seconds, but was careful not to wake my roommate, Tori. I walked to the bathroom and turned on the faucet, watching as water leaked from the base. I need some fresh air, I thought. Without thinking twice, I changed my pyjamas into a retro graphic tee tucked under a denim shorts and left the room silently. I tiptoed down the hallway, making my way out of the mansion. It was so quiet till I could hear the grandfather clock ticking away in one of the rooms. 

I sighed with relief once I stepped out of the mansion. The sea-salt air filled my lungs when I inspired deeply. Though I was in no hurry, my feet kept walking aimlessly in the courtyard, but finally stopping at the top of the mansion. I could feel the moisture kissing my skin gently when I arrived at the open rooftop. As darkness surrendered, the sky slowly softened to blue with a hint of rosy pink, inviting a brand new day. I watched as the sun bloomed on the horizon, like an opening of a flower, rising from beneath the sea. It glowed like a peach, making my hair looked like it was catching fire, a burning orange flame. I let the cool air soak in a little deeper while marvelling at the glimmering reflection of the sky on the ocean. How rare it was for me to see the dawn and never appreciating the brilliant morning sun. I had never felt so refreshed and recharged after a long time. 

I knew I heard some light and airy footsteps when I saw a brown haired guy standing at the entrance of the rooftop. "What are you doing here?" Arrow asked, as he made his way towards me. He slumped against the barrier and faced the opposite way of me, but was still keeping a safe distance between us. I could smell his faint cologne and hear his thumbs twiddling nervously.

"Why do you care?" I exhaled loudly. 

"I like how you answered my question with a question," Arrow chuckled, "You amuse me, Chloe Rose."

Why is he always such a jerk?! Can't he take a day off?

"Wow. That's the nicest thing I've heard you say," I muttered. 

He shrugged and swept a hand in his messy hair before shoving his hands into his pockets. He turned to face the sky, watching as the tinge of pink fade completely into blue.

"Why are you even talking to me when you hate me?" I crossed my arms and faced him.

"Your misguided assumption is false but cute," he replied.

"I would like you to elaborate, but I don't have the time. Have a wonderful day, Arrow grey," I said and exited the rooftop. I swear I would die right away if I was to be with him for another minute.

When I went back into the mansion, everyone was already awake and had gathered at the dining room with plates of food placed on an expensive dining table in front of them. I was greeted by the smell of butter and flour and the society of preternatural shadows. The dining room was unsurprisingly classy and impressive, so was the breakfast prepared by Tori. As I slid into my chair, I was immediately served a large platter of pancakes with bacon and maple syrup.

"Morning, Chloe! Coffee, tea or juice?" Tori asked with a little skip.

"Tea, please," I answered politely, "With no sugar or milk.'

My mouth watered as I watched everyone dug into their food. I couldn't resist the urge to sink my teeth into my fluffy pancakes and soon I crammed a large piece of pancake and bacon into my mouth. The pancakes were spongy and bouncy while the bacon was fresh and crispy. The taste and texture was immensely satisfying; sweet and savoury. I didn't noticed that I was this hungry after I swallowed the delicious goodness. Or were my senses getting stronger?

"How is it? I hope it's not too bad though..." Tori came back with a cup of chamomile tea on the tray.

"Are you kidding? This is the best pancake I've ever had!" I replied with my mouth full, although I hate to admit that Tori's pancake was better than my grandmother's.