Chapter XI

Ten beds, one patient. 

My nostrils engulfed the smell of Dettol disinfectant that dominated the air. It was a typical infirmary, except it was more developed and modernised. Its walls were simply cream and the white floor stole every lick of heat from my bare feet. White rays shone through the glass windows, making the floor seemed like it was filled with rainbow diamonds. The patient on the bed, which sat low on the ground, was testing Professor Lovecraft's patience. One more word from him and I swore Professor Lovecraft would just make him swallow a sleeping pill. 

Every part of me despised to see Arrow in this condition. He was covered mostly with thick bandages that wrapped around his torso and stretched from his elbow to the tip fo his fingers. I sat myself on an empty bed beside his and my gaze swivelled over the monumental room. I spied a classic vinyl player in one corner, playing a soft jazz music, probably a distraction that might help keep his mind off the pain caused by the stitches on his back after the anaesthetic wears off.

"Hey, how is he?" I asked, breaking into their conversation. 

An incensed look overshadowed Professor Lovecraft's features, as he turned to me in response. I didn't have to look at Arrow to know that he was rolling his eyes like the typical douchebag he is. "Thank goodness you're here, Chloe!" Professor Lovecraft said, his face was slightly washed with relieve, "Nothing too serious, just some broken rib bones and a few cuts on his back. I've given him some healing medication and he'll soon recover after he gets some SLEEP."

It's funny how Professor Lovecraft emphasised on the last word, but what's funnier was Arrow mimicking him behind his back. It was entertaining to watch their argument as if I was watching an episode of Tom and Jerry. After what seemed like ages, Professor Lovecraft decided to give up on him and steered me to the other side of the room. "He keeps convincing me to let him get up on his feet, but obviously I wouldn't allow, he needs some rest! He just won't listen to me, can you please try to talk some sense into him?"

I bit my lip while gaping at Professor Lovecraft yanked the door open, leaving me in a sticky situation. Great. Just what I wanted. 

"Can you promise me not to get yourself hurt ever again, please? It's beginning to get on my nerves," I said.

"You're asking me for a favour?" he asked mockingly, "I didn't know you could get that bossy, Chloe Rose."

"Oh, please. Begging you would be the last thing I'd do. Anyway, I'm just helping Maurice handle one of his teeny tiny problem," I crossed my arms. 

"You think I'm problematic?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

I frowned at him, pointing out to him that half of his body was evidently covered with bandages here and there. I flinched in horror when realisation suddenly dawned on me. I've been staring at his face for the past couple of seconds and I hadn't took notice of the smirk on his face. 

"Geez, I know I look like a drop-dead attractive mummy. But you don't have to stare at me with eyes that looked as if they are about to pop out of your head, you know?" he chuckled, shaking his head. 

"Hmmm...You may be right about that," I pretended to think sarcastically, then added quickly, "Oh, who am I kidding!" 

"You're cute when you lie," he grinned, "Don't deny it, you're blushing."

I huffed. Of course I wouldn't admit that he was a good-looking guy. Not to him, anyway. He would surely be so full of himself if I told him so. Without having to look, I knew I was blushing again for some reason. Blame it all on my overly fair skin that made me look like my whole face was red even if it was just the slightest blush.