Ch 7:2

As soon as the various plates began to be brought to the table, Grim dug into his food. Though he seemed to eat savagely, he was also surprisingly clean. He was able to leave little or no mess. Marcus was less excited to eat. He was slower and seemingly more careful. But really he was in no mood to eat. Still, he forced the lettuce down his throat. He shouldn't waste another person's cooking." You're not hungry, are you? Give it here," Grim said, not looking at his son. He was motioning towards the bowl while finishing up what was left of his meal. Grim definitely had a huge appetite. Marcus gave him the bowl." I hate salads," Grim said as he ate it.
"I am aware, Father."

After eating, they were free to roam around some more. Grim still seemed to be irritated though." Was the food not your liking?" Marcus asked. Grim shook his head and continued forward." It was fine. But now we're stuck here. If you weren't with me, I'd go home," Grim said.
"I can handle the heat, Father!"
"No, you can't. I know you can't."
"But I-"
"Shut up."

Grim sighed as Marcus looked down. Marcus held Iowa in his hands again." If you want to go so bad, we can leave tomorrow. You can stay in my old room. But for today we're resting here."
"Yes, Father."
"I'm going to find a bar. You two find something to do," Grim said right before swimming away. Marcus watched his father leave." Now what?"
"Stop smiling, first."
"Excuse me."
"I know you only smile because he's around. So you can stop now." Marcus listened to Iowa's instructions and stopped." You're being oddly thoughtful, Iowa."
"You're interesting."
"You're soulless. You don't have any interests."
"That's not completely true."
"I guess it's not. Then, how about we look for a place to sleep?"
"You sleep outside."
"Well, yes, but-"
"If that old man wants a room, he can get one himself. Stop looking out for him."
"You helped him also!"
"I did that for my own gain... you have nothing to earn. Even I can see that." Marcus eyed the small lizard with a look she had never seen before.  His eyebrows were raised high and he looked like he wanted to say more. Maxwell was never at a lost for words. Not like this." I want him to love me. Like how I love him," Marcus said finally. Iowa looked him directly in the eyes and said," how is that working out for you?"
"What do you think I should do then?"
"Leave him to rot. Isn't that what he did to you?"

Marcus couldn't focus on the lizard anymore. How long had his father left him alone? He was gone for long periods that lasted years. Yet he expected him to stay in his one plot of forest. All alone. When Grim would finally come back, he was never happy to see him. But Marcus was always forced to keep a smile on his face that never did anything. Grim was always mad at him. Grim was always upset. Grim had never once returned the favor. Was him eating that salad meant to be a favor to him? When was the last time Grim said he loved him? Has he ever said that?

Iowa saw Marcus glare down at the floor, the water around him beginning to heat up. She couldn't quite tell, but she thought Marcus was crying. Finally, he dropped to the floor, audibly sobbing. He had curled up to hide his face with his tentacles." He never loved me," She could hear him utter out to no one. Iowa was not completely able to understand. But through the logic she put together, Marcus was in a lot of pain. But not a pain she knew. However, she did know he was getting hot. That was never good. So, Iowa rested herself on his back until he fell asleep.