Nine - The Show Must Go On

Queen were playing at Live Aid - the biggest concert there was or ever would be. July 13th, 1985. Two sets of performances, one at Wembley Stadium in London, and the other at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia. All proceeds were going to help fight the famine in Ethiopia and Queen were determined to do their part along with several other bands and performers.

"You guys! I just saw David Bowie speaking to Elton John! Bowie and Elton!" Diana cried, practically stumbling into the band's trailer backstage at Wembley Stadium. She was beaming and practically shaking she was so excited.  "How brilliant is that?!"

"It's not like you're friends with four rock stars," joked Roger.

"And related to one of them," added Brian.

"You should go backstage, Mary, David and Jim are already back there," Freddie told her.  "Best seat in the house." He winked. 

"Who's Jim?"

"My friend. Can you believe he's never been to a rock concert?" 

They exchanged a knowing smile.  "Well I can't wait to meet him."

As the band left to ready themselves by the entrance to the stage, they noticed one of them was missing.

"Wait, where's Roger?"

"How did we lose him?"

Heading back to the trailer, they found the missing blond drummer - who was currently engaged in a passionate snog with Diana.

"Di!"

"Rog!"

"Oh, hi guys..."

"You sorted things out, I see," said Freddie. 

"Yes."

"Good, I'm  glad." 

"We're all glad," added John. 

"Come on, Rog, it's almost our turn!"

"I thought you said you weren't on for a little while yet," Diana said.

"Uhhh..."

She smacked his shoulder.  "Get on stage! Oh - and don't forget your drumsticks.  Can't forget those." She handed them to him.  

Freddie winked and smiled at her.  She smiled back. "Go get 'em."

"Oh we will."

She gave them all hugs.  "As we say in theatre, break a leg out there."

"Thanks Di." 

Rog followed the band back to the backstage entrance of the stage, while Di headed off to find Mary, David, and Jim. 

"Mary, David!"

"Di, how are you?" She and Mary hugged and kissed each others' cheeks.

"Brilliant thanks, you?"

"Very well, thanks.  Di, this is Jim, he's with Freddie," Mary introduced.

"So you're Freddie's special guest. Hi Jim, so nice to meet you." Di gave him a hug as well. "I'm Diana, Queen's biggest fan. Brian's my brother."

He smiled warmly at her.  "Nice to meet you, too."

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Her Majesty - QUEEN!"

The cheers were near deafening as the band took their place on stage, next in the lineup, and the whole crowd welcomed them with open arms. 

Freddie's voice had been acting up in rehearsals, but it certainly didn't fail him here in performance.  

Their set consisted of Bohemian Rhapsody, Hammer to Fall, Radio Ga Ga, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, We Will Rock You, and We Are the Champions. And later, Freddie and Brian would return to the stage to perform Is This The World We Created...?

"All we hear is-" Clap clap! "-Radio ga ga!" Clap clap! "-Radio goo goo!" Clap clap! "-Radio ga ga!" Di was right there with the rest of the crowd, singing and clapping along. 

The band's twenty-minute set blew by, over as quickly as it had started, but they had certainly left an impression.  

Their Live Aid performance would go down in history, and that moment would stick in Diana's memory for as long as she lived. 

The show must go on...

(Such a good performance! :) One more chapter left!

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed - see you in the final chapter!)