prologue ⎯

𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖚𝖊

⎯⎯ 🏰✨🐍

october 31, 1981

𝕻ERILOUS WOULD BE THE BEST WAY to describe tonight. Thunder resounded through the whole West Country as rain poured across the streets, bringing every man, woman, and child indoors from their Halloween festivities.

Ring

The shrill sound of the telephone rang throughout the small bungalow home, no adult in the vicinity of the kitchen to answer it immediately.

Ring

Once again. The irritating din sounded, catching the attention of the baby upstairs. She began to wail, a noise her parents rightfully dreaded. The house shook due to the thundering outside as the baby's Father rushed to her side, cooing innocent words of protection into her small ears, but to no avail.

Ring

"Winnie! The phone!" The Father yelled to his wife over the commotion. The baby's Mother, Elowen, hurriedly folded the lion ensemble her daughter had previously worn before shouting a quick response of confirmation to her husband and rushing down the hall.

Rin-

"Hello?" Elowen huffed through the telephone. She plugged her other ear with her finger so as to hear the voice on the other end over the screams of her crying daughter.

"Winnie?" The person on the other end whispered, their voice breaking as they pronounced her name.

"Remus?" She asked in return, whispering just as her friend, her tone shocked instead of the dejected one Remus's voice was laced with. "What's wrong?"

"Where's Ric?" Remus asked, the tension growing thicker by the second for people on both ends.

"He's a-" She sighs as her daughter screams again, louder than the last. She's sure Remus is able to hear it over the line. "He's with Junie. Um. I'll just- Alaric!"

"I'm kind of busy, Winnie!" Alaric shouted to his wife, sitting on the ground in front of his daughter while he grabbed each and every toy the girl received for her birthday and shook them in a means to calm her down, but again to no avail.

"It's Remus!" She called back, now pacing back in forth under the kitchen light as a reliever of the chaos.

Elowen can hear the cries of her daughter come closer along with the hard footsteps of her husband as the two of them entered the kitchen. Alaric quickly took the phone from Elowen's outstretched hand and passed their daughter to his wife in return, she was still visibly upset but her crying descended a notch once in her Mother's arms.