Chapter 16 - A Mad Proposal

Vilfred

Vausterland

The castle of Vausterland lay before him, unlike anything he had ever seen. Located on a hilltop and rising as high as the clouds went, the complex stone structure spread as large as a whole city of its own. Vilfred could not catch count of the number of towers that encircled the castle, rising at different heights, most of which disappeared through the clouds.

Hanging gardens overlooked the outer courtyard and a large fountain danced in the center. Marble pillars circled the enormous great hall inside, shimmering under the light that entered through the massive glass dome above.

King William sat on a gold coated throne, his gold embroidered purple robes matching the tapestries that hung around the walls. He looked strong despite his age, his shoulders broad and his back straight. His sharp eyes shone in a light brown gleam that matched the color of his healthy long hair. And despite the power he evoked, he looked pleasant, a gentle smile drawn across his confident face.

"Your Grace." Vilfred bowed as he was taken before the King.

"Vilfred," King William greeted in response, "welcome to Vausterland."

"Thank you, Your Grace."

"This is my son, Stefan," William smiled as he gestured at the smirking young man sitting by his side.

"Crown Prince." Vilfred bowed again. Even if William hadn't introduced him, Vilfred would have known at once that Stefan was his son. No older than seventeen, the boy was a younger reincarnation of his father, with the same shade of light brown hair and gleaming eyes.

"I must admit how pleased I am that Lord Bernard is willing to negotiate," William said. "And I have a positive feeling that we will come to a mutual agreement. I understand of course how valuable your brother Mikal is in the North."

"Indeed, Your Grace." Vilfred forced a smile. "Speaking of which, may I ask where my dear brother is?"

"He is in good hands." William smiled, and just as he did, three armed winged guards entered the hall, led by an impressive wingless man with long black hair.

Vilfred recognized Tristan at once, the fierce looking human Lord whom he and Mikal had met in battle. He had a smug look on his rugged face as he walked towards him, followed by the winged guards. The rightmost guard was outrageously large and rather terrifying, his thick eyebrows furrowing as he dragged along a curious looking winged man.

Vilfred's attention was drawn to the winged man at once. From the finely embroidered burgundy coat and the matching pants that hugged his lean form, Vilfred could tell he was a noble. But the chains on his wings and the way the huge guard tugged him along suggested he was a prisoner.

Vilfred frowned in confusion for a moment, before his eyes widened in shock. He had not recognized Mikal at first. In place of his brother's long glorious hair, short silver locks framed his face and curled above his right brow, the wispy ends brushing the black feathers of a peculiar looking mask that covered the right half of his face.

"Vilfred!" Mikal called out, his very familiar voice breaking with emotion as he squirmed out of the massive guard's hold.

"It's alright Jared." Tristan nodded to the monstrous guard who released Mikal in response, and the next instant Mikal was free and running at full speed towards Vilfred, an unusual expression of longing on his face.

"Brother!" Mikal breathed as he hurled himself into Vilfred's embrace, burying his face deep into his chest. "Get me out of here."

Vilfred, although a bit taken by surprise, closed his arms tightly around Mikal. How ironic it was, that the only person he wanted to kill so bad was clinging to him as if his life depended on it. Well indeed, Mikal's life did depend on Vilfred. But Vilfred had no intention of saving that life. And all he could do now was wear the mask of a big loving brother and keep playing. And so he smoothed Mikal's hair and kissed his head like a good big loving brother would do.