Chapter 5

Jack remained rooted to the floor, the girl standing in front of him looked like a spectre from the fifteenth century. She wore a white summer dress that covered her from head to toe and a green granny cardigan which could instead be an apt choice for St Benedict's day. She was pale like a ghost, her skin seemed stretched over her bony sculpture and her eyes had purplish patches around which depicted endless sleep-deprived nights.

Jack stared at the fragile glasswork girl, she seemed rather too interested in his shoes now. He was too tongue-tied to even manage a greeting, the girl had slumped shoulders depicting the hours of waiting that had taken a toll on her but her face was devoid of any accusations. Jack already began to feel the guilt rising from the pit of his stomach.

Jack took a minute or two to compose himself, his luck couldn't backfire at such pivotal scenario. He glanced back at the beauty in red, she seemed disappointed now that he had a female company. Someday alas!!!

Jack took in the features of his red seductress for the last time and tore his gaze from her only to land on the pale timid girl in front of him. He noisily cleared his throat.

" Good weather, huh??"

The moment those words left his lips Jack felt as if he is reduced to dust. God dammit!!! Since when he had difficulty talking to girls, and of all the things possible he ended up having a  weather ice breaker!! Such a great start!!

Jack took a few shallow breathes, You can do this.

" I guess you already know who I am since you approached me, I mean I could have approached you first but I didn't because well I was on it but you beat me to that."

Wait, did that make any sense.

Why couldn't he just manage a normal conversation!!! This was so frustrating, was he guilty of making her wait or was he disappointed that she wasn't the red girl or was he just nervous because he never had met a girl so unreadable as her. Maybe its because of the way she dressed, it was embarrassing.....

" University," her voice halted his train of thoughts. Her voice was so small that for a second he thought he imagined those words.

Monosyllabic. Wow. He added another quality to the mental list he tried making to decode this girl.

Okay, so if that's what she wants, why should he care, it was not like he felt bad that his charm was not working on this girl. Wait, he was feeling terrible. How can any girl no matter how weird be imperturbable to his charms!!!!

Jack knew he had a challenge in front of him.

" I think we should first get you something to eat, you can really use some nutrition," Jack said in his best casual yet husky voice that would have let any girl jump to the temptation.

She didn't reply. Just great. He is going to take that as a yes.

Jack glanced at the abominable puke yellow coloured knapsack she was carrying and the hundred-year-old suitcase and debated whether to take that or not. Finally, his better side won and he took the suitcase from her. The moment his fingers touched hers to get a hold of the case she flinched with an intensity as if she touched a live wire.

Just how weird can this get. He took her case and started to move past the buzzing crowd, his mind plotting to crack her.

.

.

.

.

.

She didn't say a word the entire journey, not even when he asked her about her food preferences or her choice of restaurant. He drove in the uncomfortable silence that stretched between them. Jack noticed her fidgeting with her interlaced fingers as if she was contemplating to say something but stopping herself.