chapter thirteen

Staring at myself in the mirror, I rubbed dark red lipstick on my lips and fluffed up my hair. "Topanga, are you sure red lipstick would look good with my outfit?" I asked her through the phone. Rubbing my lips together, I smeared my mom's dark red lipstick all over my lips. 

     "Of course, Mary Jane. Dark red lipstick is a must. It's fashion 101!" She replied.

     "Someone call the fashion police! I look like a clown," I shouted in exasperation. I took a paper towel and wiped off the excess lipstick I observed the outfit Topanga had picked out for me in the mirror. My creme colored cropped sweater fit comfortably on my upper body while my black and white checkered skirt hugged my thighs. Fluffing up my bangs again, I scrutinized my appearance in the mirror. 

     "I'm sure you look great. I wish I could see you so I could help you get ready. They should really invent a phone where people can see each other from wherever they are, ya know?"

      I nodded my head and thought about that idea. "Yeah, maybe they'll have that by 2050 or something."

     "Anyway, do you know where Shawn is taking you on the date?"

     Suddenly, the doorbell echoed from downstairs, causing my heart to start racing out of my chest. "Oh my gosh, he's here!" I said scrambling to find my purse. 

     "Have fun! Don't stay out too late and uh...use protection if it comes to that," she replied.

     "Topanga!" I yelled at her. She giggled once more before hanging up the phone. The doorbell rang again. I gave myself one more quick look in the mirror before grabbing my purse and flying down the stairs. Standing behind the front door, I took two deep breaths in and out to calm my nerves. I slowly reached for the door knob and opened the front door. There stood Shawn in a black crew sweatshirt with light jeans and black converse. He rested his back against the wall and lifted his head to look at me. 

     Shawn smirked. "Hey," he said as he pushed himself off the wall to stand before me. He took out his hand from behind his back to reveal a single pink rose. My mouth dropped at the sight of the rose. 

     "Wow, I love it! It's so gorgeous," I told him as he handed me the flower. 

     "Yeah it is. I was with my uncle today and he knows a florist. I saw this rose and it reminded me of you."

      I brought my head down to sniff the sweet aroma of the rose. "Why me?"

     "Because it's beautiful," he said as his eyes shifted from the rose up to me. With the words refusing to come out of my mouth, I stood there speechless. Shawn smiled at my shyness and extended out his hand. "Ready to go?" 

     I placed the rose on the table next to me and stepped outside, locking the front door behind me. I grabbed his hand and nodded. Together we walked, hand in hand, over to his truck. Shawn rushed over to the passenger door and opened it for me. I smiled at his gesture. "Why thank you," I said as I climbed into the truck and took my seat. He closed the door gently and walked around the back of the car. I gazed as he paused for a moment and stared at me through the rear window. I chuckled to myself and shook my head. I reached over to the driver's seat and raised the knob up to unlock his door for him. 

     Shawn cheered from behind his truck. He punched the air in excitement and skipped over to his door. I was confused, yet amused at his elated response. When he got in the car, I shot him a weird look. "What was that about?" I giggled. 

     "It's a little test I learned from a movie."

     "What movie?" I asked. 

     "Don't worry about it, just know that you passed with flying colors!" He said with a smirk as he started the car. "Have you really never seen A Bronx Tale?"