IN MEMORIAM

"Newton Edward Wu, Bachelor of Science in Economics, Summa Cum Laude." Everyone heard of New's death, the atmosphere was somber. With the Dean's permission, I carried New's photo of him and took his place to receive the diploma and medal. John and Tristan escorted me down the stage. Being the only summa cum laude of the batch, New the last one to be called. Before we broke off to our own families, I hugged John and Tristan together.

"Thank you, guys."

I thanked the sobbing group. New's picture was with us, he was surrounded by all of us. Our tears watered down his smile.

The coffin descended to the ground. There weren't a lot of people there to mourn, just Tristan, John, a slender lady, and I. New wanted this, he didn't want to leave so much of a mark on people especially after finding out he didn't have much left to live.

"Gab, right?" The slender lady walked up to me and asked.

I wiped off the tears. "Yes."

"And you're John and Tristan?"

"Can we help you?" Tristan asked and John looked confused.

"I'm Lorraine. New's private banker. He came to me a few months ago and asked me to hand this to you upon his funeral."

She took out three white envelopes and handed it to us.

"He wasn't sure he'd have the chance to say his goodbye so he wrote it down. I'll be off now." She left us speechless.

John opened his first, he read it aloud.

Johnny Boy,

Cheer up! Thanks for the times you cheered me up when I felt down. You knew exactly what to say to brighten the mood. When I was in pain, you made me laugh. Please continue to do that. At dark moments, the world needs to laugh, especially Tristan and Gab.

I'm so proud of what you've achieved. When we met, you and I were still lost boys alone and scared in this big world. Now you're a man and the entire world is just within reach. As you go on with life, please don't forget your past. You've set an example for many to be inspired by, to aspire to emulate, and to perspire for their own dreams. Please help the little children alone on the streets get on their feet, to create a future of their own as you did, buddy.

You're a beacon of hope, continue to shine bright.

Yours truly,

New

The paper was wet from the tears that came down from John's eyes.

"I'm gonna miss you so much, New." he looked at the hole on the ground.

Dearest Tristan,

I might not have told you but you've helped me find peace. The moment you came to me to talk about your problems, you gave me the chance to make things right between father and son. I wish my father could've been even just an ounce as kind as yours, then probably we could've been happy as well. But I'm so happy you found your way back to your father's love. It made me feel like I too found my way to my own father's, even if in truth that would never happen. I can't wait for you to have your own son and I'm sure you'll love him to the moon and back.

And thank you again, Tristan. You kept the group in check with your stoic demeanor. You were our strength especially when I was down and John was only starting to get on his feet, we held on to you and you didn't let us go.

There will be more people who will need your stability. Stay strong.

Love,

New

Tristan looked up to the sky. "Little did you know you were our strength, New. We've exhausted that now and I'm sorry. Sleep well, dear friend."

Darling Gab,

I'm one with the world now and I'm happy you came into mine. I'm sorry it had to be this way. I'm sorry you loved someone who could not love you long enough for our hairs to turn grey, our backs slouch, and our skins brittle down.

But I'm happy and thankful to have met you. Happy because you've finally found true friends. You're a Godfather now, Tristan and John will be your family to the end. And I am thankful because you learned to love again and loved me. Thank you, for making my last year on earth more meaningful. You are a treasure to me that I can't and shouldn't keep to myself. You are a treasure because you've taken over my world and filled it only with happiness. I want you to do that again to the next love of your life. I need you to give back love and happiness so I can rest well knowing that even if it's just a tiny space on this planet, I know that someone somewhere out there felt the warming embrace of your heart. You graced my life with sweet nectar and I want others to taste that as well. Find someone who loves you just as much as I do, maybe even more. Build a family, enjoy your Sunday strolls in the park, look at them play in the green grass of tomorrow. Feel the love and remember where that all came from. If I could be selfish, remember with whom you learned to love, to give it all without letback. That it was me. That I taught you that even a broken heart can learn to love again.

And as you enjoy this lovely sight of children laughing, and leaves and flowers fall gently down to the ground, let the blow of the wind know that I am right there with you. Because I always am, I'll be with you when the sun sets, and rises again.

Goodbye, my love.

New

"Goodbye, New. You'll always be in here, lighting the fire that warms my heart," I felt a soft gush of wind brush my teary cheeks. I looked up and smiled, "I love you."

-- The End --