Chapter II

Lucas pov

As I stepped out into the cold night air I immediately felt the wind bite into my tear stained cheeks. I kept my head down as I walked up to my mother’s small 5’4 figure. Her silhouette was outlined by the full moon. I slowly looked up unsure of whether I wanted to face my mother. I saw her petite chin first, then her full lips, her picture perfect nose, and finally her light brown eyes. They were full of pain you didn’t have to be a psychiatrist to see that. I immediately looked back down my eyes trained on the black asphalt of the parking lot beneath me.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw her hand rise, and my body tensed preparing itself for whatever was to come. What I didn’t see was her other hand rising along with it. I was engulfed in a giant bear hug and squeezed harder than anyone would have thought imaginable by my mother’s small frame. I stood there for a moment still in shock before slowly lifting my hands and squeezing back. I felt my head sink into the crook of her neck as I started to sob uncontrollably again. My mind kept telling my body to stand up straight and to be strong for mom but my body didn’t listen. My heart was aching too much.

My mother started sobbing to and we stood that way for a good five minutes, tears flowing the whole time. My mother sniffled again and finally pulled away. I felt another silent tear slide over my cheek.

“Let’s go, David is waiting at the house.”

I silently nodded and walked over to the car. I tugged at the handle until it opened and hopped into the passenger seat. The 10 minute car ride to our house seemed to be 5 hours thanks to the silence and grief that consumed us.it just encircled us like a fog of despair, writhering its way into every nook and cranny, sucking every single ounce of joy and optimism from the vehicle. My patience or strength I had left instantly depleted when we arrived at home and I spotted David’s car in the driveway. I got out of the car slowly and trudged up to the door, pausing momentarily before wrenching open the door and walking inside only to be met by the reincarnation of Satan, only in this life the devil wore Prada. My caty step sister Amanda stood there peering around me to see if my mother was behind me, lucky for her she was still in the car. Just then she noticed my tear stained face.

“What’s wrong cry baby?” She said with mock affection and concern “Did you have a rough day?”

I just stood there with a silent tear running down my cheek making its way to my jaw line. Finally I mustered up the strength to flipped her off. The evil smirk on her face instantly disappeared. Just then my mom came in and shut the door behind her, and Amanda just had to ask.

“Hey were's Jordan?”

I felt my body instantly cringe at the sound of her name and tried to remain strong but I felt fresh salt water tears begin to brim in my eyes.  I caught the sympathetic look from my mother and sprinted up the stairs to my room accidently slamming the door in the process. My mom had just silently volunteered to tell Amanda the whole story again. I had told her what had happened on the car ride home. After I finished the uncomfortable silence started. I crumpled onto my bed and just started crying again. I could only take so much before I would break. I silently thought to myself, how close was I to that breaking point any way…..