Drowning

Kousei's POV: I was here.. sitting at the piano. I was trembling in fear. I looked up to see Kaori staring at me with a big smile. I could hear the voices. I could hear everything. That's as a good sign.

The first few notes were perfect. I could hear. I could hear the notes. The tapping of the keys. My foot tapping lightly. I could hear Kaori's violin.

The room went dark. I could see my mom. My mom was watching. I was starting to go under. The notes started slipping away. I pounded against the keys harder and harder. I couldn't hear! The notes, the keys, they were gone! I couldn't hear the music. Why here? Why now? I'm ruining her performance.. I'm sinking deeper and deeper.. no sound..

Why mom? I just wanted to make you well again.. what did I do wrong? Did I not play to perfection? Where did I mess up..? Mom please!

My whole body starts trembling I'm still pounding the keys.. it must sound horrid. I want to stop.. I need to stop.

My hands slipped off the keys and into my lap. I stare up into the ceiling. All of a sudden.. the violin stops.. then I feel Kaori's soft hands wrap around me..

Kaori: " Lets try again alright? We've got all the time in the world."

Kousei: " I'm sorry... "

We both start playing again. It goes good for the most part. But we are definitely disqualified. Still Kaori grabs my hand and pulls my to the front of the stage. She has a bright smile on her face a whispers: "I hope it reached them"

I look at the crowd.. they are all cheering. Everyone is staring at us.. I just wanted to run away. I hated it. I hated all of it. I could still see  my mom in her special seat.

We walked off the stage and went find Ryota and Tsubaki. I could hear everyone..

Crowd: "Is that Kousei Arima?" "Isn't he the boy that can't hear the notes?" "Didn't he break down on stage?" "He stopped playing and ruined that girls performance."

I ruined it for her... Tsubaki hugged me tightly

Tsubaki: "You did amazing Kousei! I knew you could do it!"

Kousei: "mhm.."

Ryota also said we did amazing.. but I didn't need flattery. All that mattered is that I didn't play to perfection. Mom would be so disappointed.