Epilogue

A year later...

It was a bright and productive day, just like the usual ones. Seeing the people freely and happily roaming around the streets, it made me happy.

The scent of adventure have taken up the entire continent. The people have shown a huge positive response to the change of laws. It greatly satisfied everyone.

As I walked through the hallways of the government building, bright smiles greeted me. I have never expected this to happen. I was dreadful back then and was doubting any good things to happen, but it seems unlikely, fortunately.

Being a part of the government feels so natural to me, as if I was literally meant to be a part of it. Maybe because my parents were a part of it too.

"Good day sir. Are you about to go home?" A female worker greeted. She wears the same uniform as me. She has a short gray hair down to her shoulders, fair skin, and short stature.

"I'm just wondering why you're not tired of doing this everyday, Lans." I stopped from walking and turned to face her. She works in a lower department than me. I work in the highest department, making me a captain.

I insisted on everyone that they should just call me by my name, I didn't want to be treated as some kind of powerful leader because it'll just make things awkward in the working field. I told them that maintaining friendly connection can somehow be productive and efficient rather than having full elegance in addresses. Just a friendly tone is enough.

"What do you mean, sir? Asking you if you're going home?"

"Calling me with honorifics." I smiled a bit, not to look so strict.

"Well... no... sir." She shrugged timidly.

"I'll try my best..." She almost said another word but she shushed herself in a funny way, then walking away and waving goodbye. I waved back at her and continued walking to the exit.

It's already afternoon and I had plans for the next hours. I went home after. I'm meeting with the others just to know how their lives are now. I personally wanted to meet them again, after a year have passed, we seldom see or hear from each other.

The institute continued to do its operations academically. The MPSes were also permitted again. The difference now was people from every country can pass borders, they just have to finish some processes.

Most things are now balanced unlike the previous years. I haven't imagine that I can be a part of a huge change in this continent. It was peaceful. Satisfying.

We were about to meet at a restaurant in Dryion's capital. Even the capital drastically changed. It was flooded with people, noisy but... I liked it.

I went inside the restaurant where we often visit. There they were, waiting for me.

"Wahh!" The yellow-haired girl ran to me with her hands stretched. Or should I say yellow-haired woman?

"We missed you!" Bollie said as she pulled herself slowly from me.

A mixture of sadness and joy was painted on her face. I giggled a little as I saw her expressions. She is indeed still a girl—not a woman yet.

I turned to look at the others who were sipping from their cups and looking at us. They smiled and waved as we locked eyes with each other. Their appearances changed drastically.

Fade's gray hair, tied to a ponytail, were longer but cleaner and more elegant, together with his outfit that satisfies it. While Xavier looked more hip, but appealing at the same time. They completely looked professional.

I sat with them at the table, just satisfying the four of us. I ordered some food and we talked about things.

"How's the government work? Are they treating you well?" Xavier asked, he looked at me as he placed a piece of food in his mouth.

"Well, I never expected things to go well. But that's more fortunate." I replied with a smile, him nodding.

"How are you guys? Looks like things are well for you too." I scanned their faces as I finished my sentence.

"Well, as you can see, this appearance, I have to maintain it to make a living. I mean, being a commercial artist is hard." Fade shrugged and looked embarassed. No wonder he kept looking down all the time.

"But it looks good on you!" Bollie exclaimed with a loud voice, turning to look at Fade with a surprised face. Then, pointing at some people who seemed like fancying at Fade.

"You wouldn't say that if you were in my position, right?" He replied with a sarcastic tone. I got his point there. I guess he was still uncomfortable with it.

Bollie just shrugged it off and focused on the meal that's in front of her.

I secretly giggled at this situation. They haven't changed a bit, they were still so funny to look at while they're fighting.

I didn't expect Fade to be a commercial artist at this point, I guess he didn't too. He didn't mention anything about his dreams in life but I guess he had plans, and I think this wasn't a part of it.

"How's life Bollie?" I asked.

"Now that you mentioned it, I have a studio near here which teaches kids some basic self-defense. With the people being able to roam around freely, we can't just let our guard down and be complacent everywhere we go." She raised her eyebrows slightly signalling FYI.

"What's the point of doing that when they have their own aegises?" Fade inserted.

"So you mean they can just use their aegis however they want, huh?" Bollie replied in a somehow annoyed tone. "We teach kids self-defense and self-control, if they will just rely on their aegises then they're no different from the former abusive government."

What she said made us silent. I guess she really is a woman now, just from the way she thinks. Xavier playfully clapped his hands and Bollie waved her hair in a proud manner. We laughed at how funny she was, but we can't deny the fact that what she said was right.

—————

We spent the afternoon just like how we did when we were at the institute. It was fun being with them after a long time. Many things have changed, not just their appearances but also most things about their daily lives.

Honestly, I am still dreadful about the consequences of the major change in the continent. After all, I am responsible for all of this. I was merely an outsider, who was taken care of in a place where I don't belong. Things completely turned upside down when my aegis rampaged. I didn't have the power to control it then, but now I can manage it.

Things were also cool with Harriet and her family. They told me everything I had to know since my family's already gone. I already knew some of the things they had said, but I was surprised everytime they would tell me something I didn't know. Things about my family...

It was also the first time someone have mentioned about my grandfather. Not even my parents or grandma Ensali did. Aredo Narhan.

It seemed like I got my aegis from him. Not the exact one, but likely. Mr. Moonlit said that grandfather's aegis was Render.

I had read it in books and discovered that it was a rare and dangerous aegis. The fact that this information was written in history, it really is powerful.

It can copy or manipulate other's aegis effortlessly, making it a deadly aegis. I guess my aegis was also deadly and dangerous.

Grandma didn't mention him to me because he is famous in Arhyx, so it would give me an idea that our family is originally from there.

These were all they can give me, they didn't know how grandfather died. No one can ever tell me now. I guess I would never know.

I sighed as I reminisced all the moments with my family. Now that I knew mostly about them, it was comfortable for me now to accept everything that had happened.

I'll continue to live and serve this continent, who knows what more can be discovered?

-End-