Chapter 2

* Y/n's POV *

"Hey Greenie, wake up!" I hear some voice say. There's a pause. "Wake up or else Greenie." Another pause.

"Oh my God!" I screech, jumping up and out of bed. Newt just dumped a glass of water on my head. "What are you doing?" I yell, barely able to contain my laughter.

"Why, just helping the Greenie along with her shower," Newt says a little too innocently.

"Now you've done it!" I throw one of my pillows at him and he catches it, chucking it back at what felt like three times the speed. I slip on the puddle of water and hit my head on the side table. Stunned, I lay still for a second.

"Oh! I'm so sorry," Newts saying, but then I remember something.

"Y/n, it's Y/n!"

"What is?" he asks, a little confused.

"My name! It's Y/n!"

"Well that's a pretty name," he laughs pulling me up off the ground. "Do you feel ok or should we go to the medical hut?"

"I'm fine. It didn't really hurt. Just jarred some memory loose I guess."

"Well ok then. Let's go find you a job." We started off at the barn, but obviously killing animals was not my thing and we moved on.

"So... how long have you been here Newt?" I ask during a long silence.

"Seven Months. I got here after Alby."

"Wow, I can't believe he had to spend a whole month here all alone," I comment.

"He didn't. He came up with two other guys, but one of them died the first month out in the maze and then just three months ago the other one died trying to climb down the box hole."

"That's terrible," I say. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have your friends die. We walk around and he's telling me about jobs but I'm not really listening anymore.

"Hey Y/n, earth to Y/n." He says, waving his hand in front of my face.

"Hm?" I ask, actually listening for what he says this time.

"This is the Gardens. If I wasn't a runner this is where I'd wanna work. It's hard, but not too bloody or boring like some of the other jobs." Everything but him mentioning he's a runner goes over my head.

"You're a runner?" I ask excitedly, "Can I try out for that?" He just looks at me.

"Did you even hear what I said about the Gardens?" he asks.

"Well yes, but I want to be a runner. I know that's what I'm supposed to do. I can feel it!"

"Well you're not gonna bloody be so you can drop that!" He spins on his heel and storms off. Woah, I don't understand why he's so mad.

✧✧✧

* Newt's POV *

I can't believe it! She wants to be a runner! I can't let her do this. I'd never forgive myself if she got hurt out there. I need to have Alby tell her. That's it! I'll have Alby say no. She'll listen to him!

With this thought in mind I go off to try and find Alby. I'm just rounding the corner of the homestead and low and behold, Y/n is already talking to him. Oh no, this is not good.

"Hey Alby," I call, "Can you come over here for a second. I need to talk to you!"

"Sure, Newt," he says, "I'll be right back Y/n. Duty calls." He stalks over to me, "What is it Newt?"

"Y/n wants to be a runner, now of course this is a terrible idea and she could get hurt and I need you to tell her no because she won't listen to a thing I say and--"

"Hold up Newt," Alby interrupts, stopping me mid-rant, "Yes, she can get hurt, yes, she should try out other jobs, but no, I'm not going to tell her no. She'll get a chance to try out whatever she wants, just like everybody else. Just looking at her I can tell she'd be a great runner. We just need to see if she's got the brain for it too. You of all people should know, Newt, the more people out there looking for a way out, the better. I understand you're worried for her, but tomorrow you're going to take her on a run. Got it?"

"Yah, I guess," I say as I turn around defeated and walk off. I can see her smirking like she just one a war. Well she's got another thing coming. This is just one fight in a long battle.

* Y/n's POV *

I can tell as Newt walks off that Alby said I can go. He looks like a kicked puppy.

"So I'm sure you know what that was about Y/n?" Alby asks, walking back over to me. I nod my head. "So you will go on a run in the Maze tomorrow with Newt. Be there at 6:00 am because the doors open at 6:30 and you want to have time to stretch. I'll have a backpack with everything you need in it set next to Newt and Minho's at the entrance."

"Ok Alby, I wont let you down, I promise!" I say almost jumping out of my shoes.

"Ok then, take it easy for the rest of the day and make sure you get plenty of sleep tonight."

"Yes sir!" I shout as I run off. I don't really know where I'm going but the forest looks cool and inviting so I go in there. I find this beautiful creek that I can dip my feet in and I sit there splashing them back and forth, looking up through the tree canopy.

"Hey," says a voice from the forest and I jump.

"Oh hi, who are you?" I ask this Asian boy who moseys over and sits down next to me. Guess he's never heard of stranger danger.

"My name is Minho and I hear you wanna be a runner." He says, with a smirk.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Oh, yah. Minho time....

xoxo Glader babies!

~ Bekah