Chapter 1: Kevin

I've been a police officer for 20 years now. I've dealt with a lot of different scenarios. Here in Old Town, Maine not much happens. We, as cops, get some thiefs, several cases of people running away (it's mainly teenagers), prank phone calls, and a lot of medical calls. I've seen everything that I though could ever happen in Old Town.

That's when I got a phone call from someone.~

"HELLO! IS SOMEONE, ANYONE THERE?" She was screaming in the phone so the dispatcher tells me.

"Ma'am , I need you to remain calm, I'm going to connect your call to Officer Smith."

"Okay! Just hurry!"

This is when I get on the phone.

"What is it ma'am?"

"There's... There's..."

"What is it ma'am? I need you to tell me what happened."

"THERE'SBEENAMURDER. HOWCOULDTHISHAPPEN?!?!"

"Ma'am I can't understand you when you talk that fast. tell me again, a little slower this time."

"I can't!"

"Why not?! If it's too hard to say just spell out the word or words for me. Okay?"

"Mh uh. There has been a M-U-R-D-E-R..." each letter that she said made my hair stick up. How could there be mmmm... I can't even say it in my head! This has to be a joke!

"Okay, ma'am how old are you?"

"I'm 42, why should that matter when something this tragic has happened?!?!"

"Well, I think your a little too old to be playing these games still. You realize it's against the law to prank call the police, don't you?"

"I do but I'm not making this up! its on Youngs Ln in the ally way! I'm already there just send someone! I'm not lying about this!" end of phone call~

We have to treat this like she not lying even if we think she is. So I to get in my squad car when I see a piece of paper stuck to my windshield. I unfolded it and read~

IF YOUR READING IT COULD BE A GOOD OR BAD THING. IT EITHER MEANS I HAVEN'T KILLED YOU AND PEOPLE YOU LOVE (GOOD) OR I AM ABOUT READY TO KILL A BUNCH OF PEOPLE AND IF YOU DON'T WATCH IT I WILL KILL YOUR LOVE ONES AND I MAY NOT KILL YOU BUT I WILL HAVE FUN (BAD FOR YOU). IF I WERE YOU I WOULD STAY OUT OF THIS.
LOVE,
J.K.

~I don't like the looks of this. I drive to Youngs Ln. Lost in my thoughts why would they threaten a police officer? Then I realize I'm at the place. I put on a pair of gloves and walk down the alley to see the lady I was talking to running towards me.

"Over there! Go look!"

"Stay by my car, I'll be back in a couple of minutes."

She walks to my car and I walk down the alley, the smell hits me, its nasty, I can't describe it but it was awful! then I see something colorful on the ground.

It's someone dead! It's a girl. All her clothes are just thrown on her body, without a care, she must have been dropped here. She has some scars on her face and a pool of blood surrounds her. She must have been killed not far from here, there is a trail of blood out to the houses but it looks like she was put in a car first, definitely dropped here. I don't know how I missed the trail of blood. I walk out of the alley to call 'my crew.'

"Hey! What can I do for you?" Sam said (it's a girl).

"Well actually, we have a murder on our hands so, are you able to give an autopsies on a dead person still?"

"Ha, ha, Kevin. Very funny."

"I'm not kidding the body is at Youngs Ln. You need come and get it and do the report, now!"

"Okay! I'll come, but then can you stop with this stupid joke?"

I wait with Alex, who is the girl I talked on the phone with, we made small talk. She is a sweet lady. Then I look around and say "Shit!"

"What?" asks Alex.

"Well there is no street cameras around here, the murderer was smart."

Then about two minutes later Sam comes and she is horrified when she sees the body. she apologizes.