The Legacy Long Forgotten [What If?]

I don't own Fire Emblem.

...

Title: The Legacy Long Forgotten

Setting: After Part One

Topic: What If?

Multi-chapter?: No

Synopsis: Dying was easy.

Choosing to move on was easier.

Watching her family from the heavens, Diana realized, was the difficult part.

Author's Blurb: Because A Broken Road to Recovery wasn't enough angst.

This is an AU where Diana never chose to revive herself - hence Part Two never happening. Enjoy :D

...

Death wasn't what Diana had expected it to be.

It was peaceful and exhausting at the same time. Naga's Kingdom was indeed one of beauty - ethereal, calming, and the right place to call home after a life of hardship.

She got to meet a lot of her ancestors. Marth, the Hero King, was one of the first people she met. It had been an awkward yet refreshing encounter, meeting her ancestor who had no idea why she was gawking at him and calling him "the Hero King". She guessed that Marth only had become a legend after his death, and after he had met his wife, Caeda, it only confirmed it.

Despite the riveting encounters with her ancestors, she missed her family. She missed her real family. She knew that they had defeated Grima, and that her mother had been the sacrifice of it. But seeing as her mother had yet to appear in Naga's Kingdom, she could only hope that her family's bonds were strong enough to call her back.

Robin deserved her happy ending. Diana was going to have to bear with it if it wasn't going to include her.

She felt slightly haggard, tired in general. She really wished that she didn't miss her family as much as she did. They didn't remember her. They didn't remember all the toils that they had gone through together. Here she was, erased from memory, with only the dead acknowledging her.

But she couldn't help it.

Many of her ancestors noticed this. She didn't mean to make herself a nuisance because of it. But apparently her strained smiles weren't enough, and they had seen how she always lingered back whenever they engaged in fun conversations. She wasn't aware about how they knew she was lonely, even with all the people around her.

So when Marth told her Naga was asking to see her, she didn't know anything until she had stepped into the palace that night.

"Use this to see your family," Naga said, gesturing to the fountain behind her. The pool was glistening blue, silver hues dancing along the laps of water splashing from the droplets of the small fountain in the middle of it, gently lapping out water. It was beautiful.

Diana looked at the dragon goddess with wide eyes. "Wait, what?"

Naga's expression softened around her. "I understand your situation, being here in this kingdom, Diana. You may be safe from all dangers forever, but I can see that you are still unhappy. You miss your family."

She almost blanched at Naga acknowledging that she was having problems dealing with the erasure of her memory in the real world.

"I-"

"I care for all of my subjects," Naga warned her when she moved to protest further. "In the afterlife, I want to ensure the happiness of all my people. Accept this gift, Diana. Whenever you feel alone, do come into the palace to glimpse at this pool. You will be able to see your family at any time you wish."