Saying Goodbye

It hurts seeing your life change in just a second, but it hurts even more when you look back at how things used to be. It hurts when you loose everything, but it hurts more when you realize you lost it. That's Alex Levy right now, that's Mitch Kessler right now. That's the life of the biggest news anchors of America. That's what it has become. They gave everything expecting to win even more, but they were just falling into a trap, and the only way to exit was leaving with nothing but a feeling of sadness and emptiness that can only be compared with the loss of a loved one. Their loved one was their life as they knew it.

Alex sits in her apartment, looking at the big city in front of her. The city knows her, but she doesn't know the city, she has never been there, well she has, but it was too long ago, she doesn't remember what it feels like to be normal. Her rule number one has always been "don't give up", but she's breaking it now, she doesn't see the reason to fight for a life she doesn't want, the life that ruined her life.

She remembers when she started working at The Morning Show, she was so full of life, she saw that new job as a way of helping others, of delivering America the information they needed in order to become a better country. Instead, she found herself in the middle of a world she didn't quite comprehend, it was unfair, ruthless, cruel, it wasn't what she wanted at all.

Just when Alex is submerged in her thoughts her phone buzzes, she sighs, not wanting to look at it, but she does anyways. It's Mitch. She hesitates, but she picks up the phone.

"Hey, thanks for picking up." Mitch says.

"Hey" she doesn't know what to say, or how to say it.

"Can we meet somewhere? Lunch maybe?"

Alex knows people will look at them, she knows they will be judged, but she already lost everything "ok, where?"

"Really? Well, I was thinking our usual spot?"

Their usual spot, that fancy restaurant where every rich asshole reunites to talk about things they shouldn't, just as she always did with Mitch.

"Alex?" Mitch says after not getting any response.

"Sorry, yeah why not, is 12:30 ok?"

"Yeah of course, I'll see you there."

"Ok bye"

Alex hangs up, and even before she gets the chance of putting the phone down, it starts buzzing again. This time she answers without even looking.

"Yes?"

"Alex, I'm on my way up." Says Jason.

"What? Now? Why?"

"I talked to my lawyer, I'm bringing you the divorce papers right now."

"Oh wow, that was fast, you didn't call? I don't know maybe a meeting to agree on certain terms?"

"What terms Alex? I think we all know the reason behind this divorce, it will be better if we just end this right away, I'm getting into the elevator now, see you up there."

Alex throws the phone away and just waits for Jason. When they got married everything was a dream, they were so young, full of dreams and hope, and when Lizzie was born their life seemed perfect, they had a home, a modest house but really nice, a wonderful kid, and they had each other. When she got her job at TMS, everything seemed like it was going to be perfect for them, but instead, people started knowing her, Alex and Mitch became two of the most important names in America, and she started earning more money, fame, and what she thought was happiness. Jason also started earning more, he became a well known professor and his books were being recognized all over. They both had everything they ever dreamed of, but they were loosing each other. With time, Alex started focusing more and more on her job, and her family was not a priority anymore. Jason on the other hand always tried to make things better, but it was impossible to get Alex to fully commit herself to her family even for just a couple hours. They started fighting constantly, and Lizzie was growing up and noticing things. It was becoming too much for Alex. So she turned to Mitch, the only person who seemed to understand her, because their lives had turned into one, they lived the same life, and they shared everything. So when Mitch told her he had cheated on Paige, Alex couldn't blame him, because she completely understood the feeling of being alone, and when Mitch kept doing it, she just looked away, because she understood him, when she noticed he was doing it in their work place she just ignored it, because she understood how the world works, and she knew better than to go and tell him or anyone else that what he was doing was wrong. When they slept together their relationship became even stronger, and even though she knew he was sleeping with other women, she couldn't blame him, so they kept seeing each other each time it was too much for any of them at home. She ignored her family more and more, Mitch and TMS were her family now, the only thing that mattered, and her family was there just for the pictures and the red carpets and awards. She regrets not being there, not remembering a lot of Lizzie's childhood moments. Not being there for Jason when his book became a best seller. She regrets not being there.