Chapter 2

“Hey! I have a hard time looking at this assignment, so I need this tomorrow! You get it?” Lenny dropped his notebook on my table.

What’s new? Lenny and Baron are the same; they do not know how to do their works on their own. After cleaning the house, I directly went to the cafe because surely Helen will kill me if she didn’t see me there.

As always, the cafe is full with the regular customers ordering their espresso cups, lattes, frappes, muffins, pancakes or pastries. Linda, the cashier, whom I consider as my fairy godmother is still there along with Mr. Verde- the baker; Sussy, Cindy, Ara and Becky- the waitresses. They are the only persons who have stayed after dad died. They are all in their late years, but the kindness in their hearts remained.

          “Hey, sweetie! What are you doing here? I thought you have a long exam today.” Linda noticed me while I was mopping the floor.

          “Helen, will be mad if I didn’t come here today. Besides, my class will not start yet.” I smiled and looked at my watch. I have forty-five minutes left.

          “No, you go. I was not born yesterday, darling. I know your schedule.” Linda smiled and kissed me at the forehead.

          I pulled over my car and just landed to the school grounds on time. As soon as I was there, Marga jumped in. We seated on the consecutive seats on the third row and waited for the professor to give the exam.

          “Was that already the exam? It’s way too easy.” Linda asked me for the twentieth time, while we are walking to the hallway.

          “Yeah, it is Marga. So will you just ask some other sensible question, please?” And with just a blink, my eyes darted the bulletin board where the list is posted.

          I scanned it to see who will be Alex’s partner, even if I know it will just make me jealous. And there it was!

          “Marga, I think you need to explain something to me.” I called her, holding a breath and forcing myself not to burst.

          “Why is my named listed in here? Are you insane? I told you-” I have not finished whispering angrily on her because she answered really quick.

          “It’s just your pseudonym. It’s unknown to everyone and besides look where fate brought you.” Her face brightened as if I should thank her for bringing up my name here without my permission.

          “You’re partner is Alex Gardner, don’t tell me you gonna waste this once in a blue moon opportunity, just because your old wicked step-mom will not allow you.”

          I was a bit convinced. Marga has her point sometimes. Alex is the only person that fills up my dream besides on being in a university a year from now. So why not take the risk?

          “Helen is on her witch friend on the countryside, which is a five-hour drive from the cafe.

          She told me to stay on the cafe until she came back on the midnight, ‘cause I gotta drive her home.” I finished condensing the thought I am entertaining on my brain.

          “Bingo! So you can stay to the promenade until midnight.” She suggested enthusiastically.

          I admit I turned a little excited about it, I just love Alex so much and I just cannot wait to dance with her. And that will be beautiful, although it will need to have a limit.

          “But how will I know that it’s twelve already?” I feared but then Marga is a good solution provider.

          “You’ll see the fireworks. If it started that means we have to go.” She searched on my eyes and gave me a squeeze.