Promises are Made...But Can they Be Kept?

Lydia was still crying her heart out, her best demon friend sitting beside her bed and comforting her, rubbing circles into her back much like Adam had done half an hour ago. Sure she felt the Maitlands' ice cold hands on her but she was too busy with her crying to even say a word to either of them or even come up with an answer to Barbara's question.

She lifted her head from her pillow and looked up at Betelgeuse before looking around her bedroom for signs of the Maitlands. When she found none, she refocused her attention back over towards Betelgeuse.

"Where are the Maitlands?" she asked, a hint of confusion in her voice. "I could've sworn they were in here earlier."

"They were in here but they left in quite a hurry for several reasons that I don't even know," replied Betelgeuse with a shrug.

"I hope they don't think I can't see them anymore," Lydia said with a sigh and a laugh. "Because that in itself would be preposterous."

"Wait!" Betelgeuse held up a hand and stopped Lydia from continuing to talk. "Now that I think about it, they did look at one another with equal looks of confusion on their faces before they dashed out of your bedroom, Scarecrow."

Lydia's eyes widened in a mix of shock and worry. "Oh no," she said quickly, dashing out of her bedroom with Betelgeuse following closely behind her.

They rushed down the stairs looking for the Maitlands when Lydia spotted them both in her dad's office, still a little worried about something — which Lydia had to guess was her being unable to see them. Lydia and Betelgeuse dashed into the room, and that grabbed the attention of the Maitlands and Charles — all of whom turned to look at the girl and the demon.

"Lydia!" Adam and Barbara rushed over towards her and each gave her a hug, both of which she accepted with a smile. "We were so worried you weren't able to see us anymore," the two ghosts continued in unison. "We'd gone up to your room to check on you and we asked you a question and we waited for a response from you but one never came."

"I'm sorry if I didn't answer your question, guys," was Lydia's response. "I was crying so hard I couldn't hear it."

"And we're sorry if we took your crying as you couldn't see us anymore, Lydia," the Maitlands both responded.

"Apology accepted," the three of them said at once before getting into a laughing fit which, eventually, Charles and Betelgeuse entered as well. Delia, who had been staying quiet and standing in the doorway of Charles's office entered as well, making her way over towards Charles and placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Delia?" Charles said, surprised. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Not long," was the response. "I thought I heard the sounds of yelling coming from here so I came to check it out."

"We weren't yelling, just laughing," the other five said at once.

Their laughing fit resumed, with Delia joining in this time.

Lydia and Betelgeuse had gone back upstairs to the former's room, leaving all four of the former's parents downstairs to do their own thing. Lydia, who was completely over her crying fit from earlier, was feeling much much better. She grabbed a pillow and threw it at Betelgeuse.

"Hah!" she shouted with a slight smirk on her face. "Take that, Beej!"

Betelgeuse summoned six pillows out of thin air at once and threw them all at Lydia.

"How about you take that!" he shouted back at her.

Lydia's smirk grew wider as she climbed up onto her bed and grabbed a couple of pillows before throwing them back at Betelgeuse.

"No fair!" Betelgeuse shouted as he dodged the pillows thrown by Lydia.

"Yes fair!" Lydia replied.

There were a few knocks on Lydia's bedroom door and both she and Betelgeuse put a stop to their brief pillow fight, turning to face the door to Lydia's bedroom. The knocking from earlier resumed followed by a voice,

"Lydia? Betelgeuse? It's us, Barbara and Adam! Are you guys in here? We'd like to talk to you!"

"Yes!" Lydia shouted back. "We're in here!"

The Maitlands both phased through Lydia's bedroom door, floating themselves down onto Lydia's bed and Barbara patted an empty spot in between her and Adam for Lydia to sit in.

As Lydia sat herself down on her bed and Betelgeuse chose a spot on the floor in front of them, both Maitlands rested an ice cold hand each on Lydia's shoulders.

"What did you guys want to talk to us about?" Lydia asked, looking at Barbara and then at Adam.

"When we came up earlier," Adam said. "We wanted to check on you and make sure that you were doing okay but you were busy with your crying so...are you doing okay?"

"I'm fine. Much better than I was earlier," Lydia replied, making the Maitlands both smile. "Was there anything else you wanted to talk to me about?"

"Yeah, don't ever ignore us when we try to talk to you," the Maitlands both chorused, causing Lydia to giggle.

"I won't guys," she said. "I promise I won't."