[13] The Sky is Pink

I woke up very early the next morning. Despite going to sleep at 1:00, I woke up at 4:00 am. I opened my phone and started running through my texts. The number beside the word 'Dad' showed 54. I hit myself in the head. I hadn't talked to him even once, since I got here. I dialed his number and the phone started to ring.

"Took you 54 messages, I see" he said his voice a little stern.

"Sorry..." I said apologetically, filled with guilt because I didn't care enough to atleast text him.

"So, how is it there? Any progress with your project?" I asked.

"Literally, everyday. I'm very busy. It's all intriguing. How's boarding school?" he asked.

"Not bad actually. If you don't come to see us soon enough I might opt to stay here even after you come back" I said chuckling.

"Really? That's good. I never hear you say that" he said.

"There's a first to everything isn't there?" I said, smiling to myself.

It was a surprise to me too. I made friends quicker than I ever have in my entire life and I'm actually spending more time with them and lesser time with myself. I liked my new friends. They cared about me and they stuck by my side no matter what. They tried to heave me out so many times yesterday in the pool.

I looked over at them and whispered into the phone, "I found some real good friends ya know..." I said.

"Peter that's great news! Have fun! Introduce them to me someday. Okay I'm getting another call and I need to go. Be safe and please please text me everyday" he said.

"Yeah dad. Sorry about before. I'll text everyday and call once a week. Okay?" I said.

"Yeah. You better. Oh almost forgot. I know this is a lot to ask but you can come visit for your winter holidays if you're ready. I miss you guys Peter. Julie hasn't talked to me at all. Tell her I want to talk. Plus it's really lonely around here. Come home" he said.

I thought about what he said and I knew I wasn't ready yet but I didn't want to hurt him so I said, "I'll think about it dad. I need to go. Bye!" and cut the phone call.

I looked back at my friends. Alaska had a really weird morning hair situation. It looked so bad that I had to try really hard not to make a lot of noise by laughing. Aaron had his back to Julie and she was still fast asleep. Aaron would get up sharply at 5:00 AM to go and exercise. Exercise. I hated the idea of it but it wouldn't hurt to try. Besides, I'm trying so many things right now and it'll help put things off my chest. I went to the shower and turned it on. I let the freezing cold water hit my face. I sat down and dunked my head into the water of the bathtub. Holding my breath underwater, I let the thoughts flow freely in and out of my mind. It always calmed me down. Well, not yesterday in the pool but usually, yeah. After I had lost all sense of time, I got up and walked out, the towel around my waist. I changed into black sweatpants and a white hoodie and went to the window. It was pitch dark outside. I was a night owl. I loved the darkness, the silence and the tranquillity the whole phase provides. It gives me time to think without getting distracted by anyone else and the illusion of no one other than you being awake that it gives is fascinating. It gives you so much power and motivation. That's why I like it so much. I quietly took my pair of the apartment keys and made my way to the terrace through the elevator.

I walked out and immediately the cold wind rushed across my face. The air smelled fresh like they had a hint of mint leaves in them. I lied down on the floor, my hands behind my head. I stared at the stars still in the sky, pretending like I knew all the constellations. I tried devising another plan for discovering Inframagus. I lied there until the sun rose into the sky. I quickly got up and started climbing the water tanks and sat on top of them. I looked to both my sides and there, they were. The sun and the moon visible so clearly in the sky like a painting of the night and day coming together. A lot of people would normally take a photo of this but I don't. I think clicking a photo takes the experience away. So, I sat there breathing it all in as though it would only occur one time.
Soon, I felt a presence beside me. I turned to find two familiar intense bluish-grey eyes. The sky was pink and beautiful. I turned back to look at it.