3 - Unsteady Needle

The paediatrics ward was gorgeous. I initially only had intentions of meeting my colleagues, but as I walked through the halls, the vibrant colours and cute designs on the walls kept grabbing my attention. Paintings of Disney characters that took me back to my childhood. Stokes of abstract art that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I continued walking around to find my colleagues. I had assumed that they were already in the briefing. As I walked past the nursery, I couldn't help but admire the adorable children as they played to their heart's content with each other. Most of these children had an IV drip on them, but that didn't stop them from having fun.

I saw one of the nurses and walked towards her. The name tag on her baby-blue coloured scrubs read 'Mina'. She led me to the conference room in which all of the interns were already seated.

She knocked on the door and informed the person on the other side of who I was.

"Dr Choi... I presume?" He said as he took off his glasses and looked me straight in the eye. It felt good to finally be called by the title of, 'Doctor'.

"Yes!" I said with a bow. "I apologise for the tardiness!" I slowly looked back up when I noticed him chuckling.

"Dr Choi," He said while showing me a gorgeous smile, "I'm Doctor Jung Hoseok--the director of the paediatrics ward. You didn't miss much. You can have a seat so we can continue."

I walked over to a vacant chair after thanking Mina. In the corner of my eye, I could see the other Interns. There were only 3 of us here, including myself. 2 males sat by my side.

The briefing was quick. It lasted just under 20 minutes since all that it contained was our schedule planning and how to deal with the kids. As we walked out of the conference room, I could feel the eyes of my coworkers on me. They whispered things behind my back. I had a strong disliking for gossipers and had decided to confront them.

"You know," I said as I turned around but thought it over one last time, "...we should get to know each other."

I proceeded towards them while avoiding my initial retaliation. I probably didn't have a good reputation with the two in any case; no need to dig the hole deeper. They both looked at me with seemingly warm eyes.

"Kim Taehyung." One of them spoke and gave me a faint smile.

"I'm Kim Namjoon. Hi." He spoke out.

"Taehyung-ssi and Namjoon-ssi," I replied, "nice to meet you. I'm Choi Y/n"

The taller of the two replied with a scoff. His hands slid into the pockets of his jeans and spoke to me in a deep voice.

"I'll catch up later. I gotta stay with Dr Jeong." He said as he walked away, leaving me alone with Taehyung.

"I'm sorry. He's just had a long day. He wanted to be in cardiology but got assigned here," He spoke out in an attempt to make me feel better, "So who's your mentor?"

"My mentor?"

"Yeah. We were each assigned to one doctor's team," He explained, "I'm on team Park with Doctor Park Minho, and Namjoon is with Doctor Jeong. You?"

"Oh, I think it was Doctor Kim. I was sent straight to him when I was late. I'll have to find out." I responded while only being able to guess with rational thinking and predictions.

Just then, I heard my phone ring. The number that appeared on the screen was foreign to me. Nevertheless, I excused myself and took the call.

"Hello...?"

"Come to room 238. We're going to start our rounds," the person on the other end said.

"Dr Kim?" I asked.