30

Zac felt his own heart wrench when his sword smoothly slid through the man. He was a father, brother, son, or husband and now he was lifeless. It was his life for Darcy's, who looked at him as the body crumpled to the cold floor. He leaned over to remove his sword. He felt like he was in a haze and everything around him slowed until Darcy yanked him away from the dead body.

"Get the king; I'm after the princess," Darcy shouted before squeezing into the crowd.

Zac narrowed in one the king and fought his way forward. He still was having trouble believing that he and a member of Richard's gang were on the same side. While he did not trust Mr. Roslin, he trusted Mia and BEth so he had to pray that Darcy was more akin to his siblings than his father.

The king was crouched beneath the long buffet table, a dinner knife clutched i his hands. He was white as a ghost when Zac tapped his arm. The king was about to stab him when he recognized Zac. Holding a finger to his lips, Zac motioned for the king to follow. When he stood, Zac tried to catch a glimpse of Darcy but in all black, he matched every gang member's personage. Zac sighed. He wished he had that black outfit instead of his heavy costume coat weighed down with medals and jewels.

Hastily, Zac ushered the king to the halls and led him to Brooks' room. He ushed a stone and the hidden drawer flew out with the key inside. Zac unbolted the door and helped the king inside. His father sat in a chair reading a tome.

"Father, where's Beth?"

The duke's answer was cut off when Darcy appeared with a tipsy Princess Fallyn in his arms. He grunted and deposited the girl on the bed. She started bubbling up protests but Darcy ignored her. Spinning around the room, his eyes landed questioningly on the duke. Before his mouth opened, the duke closed his book and raised a hand.

"She is in search of her sister."

"You let her out!" Zac shrieked.

Darcy began to storm out of the room. He nudged Zac on the way out. "If my sister is harmed, this will all be your fault."

Zac gulped and followed him out.

As he locked the door, Darcy pushed his sword into his scabbard and ran his hand through his long hair. "Where was Angelica last?" he growled.

Zac slowly returned the key and slid the stone into place. He ran a hand down the wall. He wanted a moment to breathe on this grueling day.

"I lost her upstairs, but she has gone further than that I know." He leans against the wall. "Darcy, your father took Prosper. Mia...Mia's not in a good state of mind. She could honestly be anywhere. We need to find your father and the gang before we worry about your sisters."

Darcy grabbed Zac's collar and slammed him against the wall. In the past, that would have provoked a brawl out of Zac but instead, he calmly looked down at Darcy.

"I will keep my sister safe," Darcy growls. Then he seems to realize what he is doing. Gently he drops Zac to the floor and Zac breathes deeply. Darcy runs a hand through his hair again. "I'm sorry. I just cannot lose them."

"Your sisters are inspiring people," Zac says as he starts down the hallway.

Darcy looks up. "Where are you going?"

Zac turns back. Darcy's confusion makes him almost laugh. "We have to think like your father and Richard if we are going to find them." Zac walks back into a wall and leans against it. "Neither are direct men so logically they would take the indirect way to kill us." The wall behind Zac spins to reveal a passageway he took when he was little. "After you?"

Darcy raises an eyebrow and walks inside.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .