Familiar Faces

Oi, Hattori!" it sounded loud through the park.

"Oh, there they are," Heiji rejoiced.

Kazuha immediately looked in the direction the voice came from.  When Ran spotted Kazuha, she first stopped with her mouth open and then immediately ran towards her to hug her tightly.  She knew that Kazuha didn't remember her, but she couldn't suppress the feelings that came up inside her.  She hasn't seen one of her best friends for so long and had almost given up her hope of ever seeing her again.  She was so overwhelmed that she almost ran over Kazuha.

"Kazuha, I know you don't remember me but I have missed you so terribly," she sobbed with tears in her eyes.

Kazuha, who was already overwhelmed with the situation, stopped.  "I wasn't in a coma that long," she replied embarrassed.  Shinichi and Heiji immediately exchanged the 'don't say anything wrong' look.

Ran was not allowed to say the wrong thing now.  Kazuha shouldn't know yet that she had been missing for seven years.

Ran released himself from the hug and wiped away her tears of joy.  "You know, even that short period was enough for me."

Relieved, Shinichi and Heiji breathed out simultaneously. The people in the park were already giving the small group confused looks.

"Let's find a quieter place," Heiji stammered and left immediately.  Together with Kazuha, who hasn't left his side since the coma, he went ahead.

"This could have gone very wrong," Shinichi whispered to Ran with an angry look when he made sure that Kazuha couldn't hear them.

"Do you think I'm stupid?  I already know what I'm doing, don't worry about that.  But nevertheless, you're making positive progress," she countered confidently.

Shinichi looked confused "What do you mean?"

"Well, you trust me information sometimes.  It wasn't always like that, was it?" she replied with a sneaky look.

Shinichi sighed: "How long will you keep rubbing that Conan story in my face?"

"For as long as I enjoy it," Ran replied amused.

"Isn't it enough that you called my son so?" he said annoyed.  Originally was against it, but then he let Ran persuade him to his own disadvantage.

"What do you have against your son being named after your favourite author?" she asked sarcastically and smiled "You should be remembered for the rest of your life."

What a pain, Schinichi thought to himself.

"I'm really glad I met those two," Kazuha said suddenly and Heiji looked at her questioningly. "I must have been pretty happy with people like that around me."

Heiji sighed sadly.  I guess you were. anything but happy.