Part 7

"What on earth do you mean, nothing happened ?", Kwame asked Suchi, quite annoyed. Linka noticed that he mentioned "Earth" which was his own ring, and didn't understand why he was annoyed at Suchi.

"Patience Kwame, maybe Suchi wasn't in the right frame of mind", Wheeler pitched in.

"The Heart ring doesn't care about the frame of mind", Gaia explained to Wheeler, placing her cup of hot tea on the coaster.

"What does it need then ?" , Gi asked looking at the ring that was in Suchi's fingers, "Also, how did the ring fit Suchi?"

"The ring adapts itself to the bearer, in size and virtue", Gaia shot back at Gi.

"What does this virtue even mean, Gaia?", Linka puffed in complete dismay.

"I don't know, I just know the rings work when it finds the correct bearer"

Suchi was slightly aggravated by Gaia's claim.

"So, you mean I am not the right person?", he asked.

"Can you just try it one more time and show us ?", Gi asked Suchi even before Gaia could answer that question. Gaia felt saved because she didn't have an answer.

Suchi bowed his head, took a deep breathe. He then placed his hand on the chest and said heart. All of them stared at the ring for the yellow glow, but nothing happened. There were uneven moans in the room.

"Gaia, when you gave us the rings, how did you know it would work?", Wheeler asked while he tried to find some clue in his ring.

"I didn't , the rings brought all of you to me", Gaia finished her tea with the sentence.

"Guys! I think we need to help Suchi here. Let us try and recall how we made our rings work", Kwame explained to others, shooting a look at all their directions. His idea was given a nod, and they all dispersed to think.

Gaia put her cup in the sink, and noticed Nitra was sitting in the same place Gi sat two days ago. She looked tanned even though she hadn't gone out in the sun. She had the same sullen expression on her face from the time they had returned from the police station. Gaia pulled a chair closer to Nitra, and sat down with her. Nitra broke her expression and looked at her.

"Hope you find the strength", Gaia held her hand.

Nitra's lips began to murmur.

"They said Ma-Ti was a murderer. How could they? They didn't know him at all. He was such a sweet boy", she wiped a tear drop with the end of the t shirt's sleeve.

"How do people get away from this ? How do they sleep at night ? Don't they have conscience ? How brutal is this ?", Nitra went on rhetorically