01

Annabelle Rose Davis woke up on an important day, although it held no real importance to her. It was an important day for Elizabeth Swann, her best friend, and as they said when they were children, if one must suffer, they both must suffer.

Annabelle stifled a yawn as she kicked her legs off her bed. She sat on the edge for a moment, blinking slowly as her eyes adjusted to the sunlight and her joints ached from being moved.

Once she felt awake enough she stood from her bed and walked to her vanity, sitting on the small stool and looking at herself in the mirror. She grabbed the brush in front of her and carefully untangled her hair, wincing when she hit a knot. After finishing with that, she opened a drawer to find her rouge and varnish, applying both before smiling at herself in the mirror.

"Annabelle, darling, wake up!" Her mother, Evelyn Davis, called from the parlor. "You don't want to arrive at the Swann's late!"

Annabelle opened her door to stick her head out in the direction of the stairs. "I'm awake, mama! I'm getting ready!"

She shut her door again before walking over to her armoire, opening the doors to look at her collection of dresses, rather small compared to Elizabeth, but it made do. She scanned until her eyes landed on a blush pink dress with white lace, white heels next to it. She smiled and grabbed the two items as she began to hum.

Although it was a difficult task, Annabelle had mastered the art of tying her own laces. She got into the dress as quick as she could after lacing up her corset, tight enough to stay, but not too much to prevent her breathing. Her fingers nimbly laced the back of the dress and ended in a small bow. Annabelle sat on her bed to put her heels on before walking out of her room.

She walked down the stairs, pausing to grab a pink fan from beside the door before looking to her mother.

Evelyn looked at her daughter in awe. "You look beautiful, my rose." She gave her cheek a quick kiss. "Now, hurry!"

Annabelle laughed as she opened the door. "I love you, mama!"

Annabelle closed the door behind her as she quickly walked up the cobble streets of Port Royal, heels clacking as she fanned herself. She was thankful she didn't lace her corset too tight, the heat was heavy today and she was sure she would pass out if she had laced it any tighter.

Footsteps rapidly approached, and a panting could be heard. "Miss Davis!"

Annabelle's lips curved into a grin as she recognized the voice. "Good morning, William. I will once again request that you call me Annabelle. Miss Davis is my mother."

"My apologizes," William responded, falling into pace with her. "Although, you may need to remind me once again."

Annabelle rolled her eyes as she laughed. "Off to the Swann Estate?"

"Yes, I have a sword to deliver. What about you, Annabelle?"

"I believe that is the first time you've called me Annabelle," she mused, but didn't let him respond. "I am to meet Elizabeth and her father before the ceremony. Elizabeth invited me and I couldn't deny it."

"Is this because of your 'if one suffers, we all suffer' attitude?"

"Precisely."

The two arrived at the Estate and Annabelle gave a quick knock as they waited. The doorman opened it, glanced at them, then moved so they could enter. She nodded to him as they entered.

Annabelle fanned herself as they stood in the entrance of the Estate. "Someone is going to faint at this ceremony, I just know it. You could boil a pot of water on just the cobblestone with this heat."

William snorted. "At least you have a chance at a sea breeze. I must labor at the smithy where there are fires everywhere."

William, who was messing with a sconce, broke it clear off the wall. He looked to Annabelle, whose eyes widened and gave him a panicked look as he hid it in a vase.

The pair quickly turned around at the approaching footsteps. Governor Swann came down the stairs, looking at the pair. "It is good to see you again, Mr Turner. Miss Annabelle, have you come for the ceremony?"

Annabelle nodded. "Elizabeth invited me, if that is okay with you, Governor."

The man shrugged. "We have room."

William cleared his throat. "I have your order." He opened a box to reveal a beautiful sword, only the second most perfect Annabelle had ever seen. "The blade is folded steel, that is gold filigree laid into the handle. Perfectly balanced. The tang is nearly the full width of the blade.

"That is very impressive, William," Annabelle nodded.

"Indeed." The Governor said. "Commodore Norrington is going to be very pleased with this. Pass my compliments to your master."

William paused before nodding. "I shall. A craftsman is always pleased to hear his work is appreciated."

Annabelle looked to the stairs at the clacking of heels to see Elizabeth Swann. She wore a yellow dress, a hat matching, as she smiled at the small crowd. "Oh, it is so good to see you two again! I had a dream about us all last night."

"About Annabelle and I?" William asked."

"About the day Annabelle and I met you, you remember, don't you?"

"How could we forget, Miss Swann?"

"Well, how many times must I ask you to call me Elizabeth?" She laughed, holding a hand in front of her mouth. "I'm sure Annabelle has already mentioned it."

Annabelle finally looked away from William, from the way he leaned into the direction of Elizabeth. "Yes, of course I have."

"Well, we really must get going," the Governor ushered the girls out of the door.

"Good day, Mr Turner," Elizabeth smiled over her shoulder.

Annabelle fully faced William. "Shall we meet after the ceremony, at the smithy?"

William looked from over her shoulder, away from Elizabeth, and nodded. "Oh, yes, that would work."

Annabelle frowned. "Have a good day, William."

Annabelle turned away from her friend and went to sit in the carriage, a ping in her chest tightening, something she had never felt before. Something she didn't understand. She didn't understand why suddenly she was aware at how much more attentive William was to Elizabeth, or why she cared so much. Annabelle gave William one last smile as the horses began to lead the carriage away.