06

Annabelle Davis woke up the next morning, no getting as comfortable of sleep as she would've wished, but she had to settle for it, as she would most likely be on a boat for however long. Annabelle was glad she had picked trousers and a shirt for her attire before leaving for Tortuga, and was extra glad for her sword.

Will smiled at her as they walked to the docks. "You use the sword?"

She nodded. "Of course, why wouldn't I?"

"I figured it would've been more of a display sword than a fighting one."

She shrugged. "First thing I found when the pirates came."

They rounded the corner, met with Jack Sparrow and Gibbs, a long line down the docks. Gibbs grunted. "Finally. Now, feast your eyes, all of them, faithful hands before the mast, ever man worth his salt and crazy to the boot."

They looked down the line, an old man becoming the victim to Jack's endless questions. "You, Sailor!"

"Cotton, sir," Gibbs said

Jack nodded. "Mr Cotton, do you have the courage and fortitude to follow orders and stay true in the face of danger and almost certain death?" Cotton did not answer. "Answer!"

Gibbs stopped him. "He's a mute, sir. Poor devil had his tongue cut out." Cotton opened his mouth, revealing he did, in fact, have no tongue. They all gagged or turned away, eyes squeezing to erase the image. "He trained the parrot to talk for him, though no one's figured out how."

Jack, finally recovering from his disgust, faced him. "Mr Cottons parrot. Same question."

The bird squeaked. "Wind in the sails! Wind in the sails!"

"Mostly, we figured, that means yes."

"Of course it does." Jack said. He turned back to Will and Annabelle. "Satisfied?"

"Well," Will sighed. "You've proven they're mad."

Annabelle nodded. "I mean, he has a talking parrot."

Jack went to retort, but a voice interrupted. "And what's the benefit for us?"

Jack slowly walked over and removed the hat from the pirate, revealing a woman with tan skin and brown hair. Jack grimaced. "Anamaria."

Annabelle watched in amusement as she slapped him. "I suppose you didn't deserve that one?"

"No, that I deserved," Jack said, turning back to the pirate.

"You stole my ship!" Anamaria cried.

"Actually," Jack tried before getting slapped again. Annabelle snorted as he faced the woman again. "Borrowed. Borrowed without permission. But with every intention of bringing it back to you."

"You didn't bring it back!" Anamaria yelled.

"You'll get another one!" Jack promised.

"I will." She demanded, pointing a finger at him.

"A better one!" Will said.

"A better one!" Jack repeated.

"That one!" Annabelle grinned and pointed at the Interceptor.

Jack groaned. "Aye, that one. What say you?"

"Aye!" The crew cried and prepared to set off.

Gibbs frowned. "It's bad luck to have a woman on board, let alone two."

"You see this girl?" Jack asked. "She has a horrible temper and a mean slap. You don't want to even say no. And as for Anamaria, it'd be worse to not have her."

Gibbs frowned. The Annabelle he'd known when he lived at Port Royale was a girl who lived next to Elizabeth Swann and spent her days in running around town with her, causing all the havoc they could before getting in trouble.

However, a mere year after he left, her father left them to go on a trade ship to never return, leaving them with nothing. She was forced to give up her dresses and accessories, forced to move into a small house with her mother and instead of looking out her window and shout to Elizabeth, she had to walk all the way to the Swann Estate.

Annabelle Davis was a different girl from how she was as a child, plain and simple.

Gibbs didn't question it, as he could see the hard look in her eye and the tightness in her jaw as she awaited an answer from him.

"Of course, Captain Jack." Was all Gibbs said, then turned to Annabelle. "Come along, we have much to prepare."

  *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Annabelle Davis rushed around the ship, listening to orders shouted to keep their boat from capsizing in a horrible storm. Her hair was almost black contrary to normal brown, and she could feel her shirt and trousers cling to her in the most uncomfortable ways.

She looked up to Jack manning the wheel and looking at his compass, speaking with Gibbs as he did so.

Annabelle was glad to have Gibbs back, she remembered him joining her and Elizabeth's families on their ship voyages sometimes, and he was a joy to have around.

She was also glad to have Will with her, a familiar face in an unfamiliar place. Someone to know everything that she needed and could provide for her when she didn't know what to do.

She returned to pulling on ropes and moving things around as Gibbs shouted the orders, focusing on saving Elizabeth.