| 12 |

Red Room

12

Week 2.

KARPOV BACKHANDED THE Winter Soldier in the face, causing Angelika to gasp besides him. The soldier didn't reply or move, though his cheek stung with pain. He avoided Karpov's gaze as Angelika clutched the soldier's hand reassuringly.

"You must not be aware that your pet doesn't need food. Her body generates energy on her own." Karpov snarled, snatching the granola bar from his hand.

Everyday the Winter Soldier had been sneaking Angelika a granola bar from the colonel's office, knowing exactly how much Angelika loved them. He didn't know Angelika didn't properly require food, but even if she didn't need it, she enjoyed it, and that made him satisfied with himself. He didn't think it was a big deal himself, and he bit back a retort.

Karpov wasn't angry because the Winter Soldier was stealing his precious granola bars, although that did contribute to his anger. It was because the soldier was thinking on his own, doing things without an order. Karpov knew putting the soldier with the Black Widow's in learning might have an effect on his mind, but he chose to risk it anyway.

Sure, this might not be a big deal, but Karpov had to be strict with the soldier.

"She deserves to eat." The Winter Soldier mumbled underneath his breath and Karpov paused, hearing him clearly.

"I'm disappointed with your performance soldier," he said harshly and the soldier looked at his feet, "and your pet will be the one to suffer the repercussions, so watch your mouth."

The Winter Soldier clenched his metal hand into a fist, but only nodded in reply. He didn't want to risk Angelika getting punished for his own stupid mistakes.

"Go monitor the students." Karpov ordered sharply and the soldier turned on his heel, leaving the office with Angelika following behind him sadly.

They walked down the hall, passing a glass room where several girls were dancing in ballet dresses. Angelika had never seen something like it before and she rushed towards the glass, leaving the soldier behind. He sighed, walking over towards her. She stood on her tippy toes, peeking inside the room. The soldier picked her up, and she gasped at the beautiful sight of the women dancing inside.

The girls inside noticed them, or more the soldier, and they instantly started dancing better, as if they were trying to impress him. But the Winter Soldier was barely interested in them.

He cheek throbbed in pain, but he made no movement to massage it. He wasn't sure if he deserved to be hit, but he knew Karpov was a strong man, and was really good at hitting hard. He couldn't feed his child or- pet? That was unfair, and he didn't regret stealing the granola bars for Angelika.

Angelika leaned her face against the glass curiously, watching as they danced beautifully. She giggled happily and the soldier glanced down at her. He couldn't help but notice how cute she was, but also how identical she looked to Melanie. He assumed Melanie was her mother, but he tried not to think about that.

The Winter Soldier was glad he was taking care of Angelika, instead of Melanie who was a complete devil. He never liked her, but then again, he never liked his superiors.

"They're good, aren't they?"

He turned his head to see Natalia standing besides him, watching the ballerinas inside.

"I used to be with them." She said, not looking at him. "But I'm too strong for that now."

Her tone of voice sounded almost relieved, and he wondered if ballet dancing was traumatic for her. He didn't reply, only looking back at the glass as the ballerinas continued their choreography.