Five years later

Wow, that had been an unpleasant stroll down memory lane. Harry was still sitting at the same spot, staring at a wall. It had been five years but he still got upset whenever he thought about Louis. He hadn't heard from him since that last text and he had tried to move on and he had, sort of. There would probably always be this dull ache in his chest whenever Louis came to mind. He had been his first love after all.

He still didn't understand it. He had come to the conclusion years ago that Louis had just used him but he just wished that he had gotten some sort of explanation. He could even have been fine about the nontouching thing if there had been a good reason behind it.

The thought of looking him up and demanding an explanation had crossed his mind several times but he never did. He had embarrassed himself enough already.

He had met Carl in his second year in college. Carl had been everything Louis wasn't and he sure as hell didn't have a problem with touching. They had been together for a year before they broke it off. It hadn't been the same kind of love as he felt for Louis but he had really liked him. Carl had been good to him, helping him rebuild some self-esteem. They broke it off as friends.

He was in his second year of University now, studying sociology. He had stayed in London and he really enjoyed it. He wanted to become a social worker, helping out troubled teens.

The week went by fast. He had booked a room at a cheap hotel in Doncaster for the night and on Saturday morning he got in his car and drove to the city he hadn't visited in five years. He was looking forward to seeing Niall, Liam, and Zayn again. They were all going to the reunion.

He had told Niall to meet him at the hotel and as soon as he parked his car and got out his old friend was there hugging him.
"Oh my God, Hi Niall. I've missed you. Where's the golden locks?"

"I don't know what I was thinking when I bleached my hair." Niall grinned.

Harry got his things and checked into his hotel room before they went out to lunch at their old place. They had a lot of catching up to do. Niall had gone to study a semester abroad and he was buzzing with excitement when he told Harry all about Paris.

They walked around in town for a while before they went back to Harry's hotel to meet up with Liam and Zayn. They cheered and hugged when they finally saw each other.
"Almost complete. Why couldn't Louis be here?" Zayn asked.

"He said that he had to work. I don't know." Liam answered.

Harry and Niall exchanged a look. Harry had never told Liam and Zayn about him and Louis. Even if Louis had hurt him Harry didn't want to turn everyone against him.

They hung out in Harry's hotel room for a while and it was just like the old days except that something was missing. Louis. He had been such a crucial part of the group and his absence was noticeable. He had been the glue that held them all together. Liam and Zayn talked about him. Apparently, Louis was living in London now. Harry didn't know how to feel about that.

They went their separate ways to get ready for the reunion but met up for dinner before they headed to their old high school. It felt a bit strange to be back. Harry had so many memories of him and Louis in this place. They had made out in every bathroom, dark corner, and hidden space.

They walked into the assemblage hall and it was like they were back in high school again. The large room had been decorated and they saw a lot of their old classmates. Harry made a round to talk to the people he had gone to school with. It was nice to see them again.

He went to the bar to get a drink and the rest of the guys joined him. They found a table and sat down to drink a beer. Liam was telling them some crazy story from English class when Harry heard a voice behind him that made all the hair on his arms stand up.
"Hi, Harry."

His mind went blank and his eyes widened in surprise. No! It couldn't be him. He wasn't supposed to be here! He turned around slowly and was face to face with Louis.

He looked even better than he remembered. His throat went dry, his heart was beating like crazy and those fucking butterflies he hadn't felt in years came alive. So maybe he wasn't completely over him? Damn it!

Louis was looking at him shyly. He seemed nervous and insecure. Before Harry could respond Niall came flying from his seat.
"You fucking arse!" He growled angrily.

Niall threw in a punch and Louis flew back from the sudden impact. His nose was bleeding.
"What the hell mate?" Zayn shouted.

He and Liam rushed over to grab Niall who was on his way to jump Louis again.
"Calm down! What are you doing?" Liam shouted and tried to drag Niall away.

Harry watched with his mouth hung open. Louis got up from the floor and tried to stop the blood flow.
"It's okay guys. I deserved it."

Harry handed him a napkin and their eyes locked. Louis pressed the napkin against his nose.
"Can I talk to you?" He asked quietly.

"You stay the fuck away from him!" Niall shouted.

"What did he do? What is this?" Liam wondered confused.

"You can tell them, Niall, if Harry is okay with it." Louis said and looked at Harry again.

Harry couldn't get a word out. He just stared at Louis.
"I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, Tomlinson." Niall growled.

"I'm not expecting you to. Harry? Please? A word in private? Give me ten minutes to explain and then you can go back to hating me for the rest of your life." He pleaded.

Niall snorted. Harry finally found his voice.
"Okay. We can go to my hotel."

"Harry!" Niall protested.

Harry turned to Niall.
"It's okay. I'm just gonna hear him out. I'll be fine. I love you Ni. Thank you for sticking up for me."

They walked away and Harry could hear Liam and Zayn in the background, demanding an explanation from Niall. He glanced at Louis. What kind of lame excuse had he come up with five years later?