22 - The TaLk✔️

+Brandy

"Are you guys sure you don't want a ride?" I question, Angela and Ray. They were Taz's parents. After spending just about the whole day with them, they seem like pretty chill people. "I don't mind driving y'all home. My tanks all filled up and I've got plenty of room in my car." It was only five in the afternoon, and if I dropped them off, I'd make it back to the warehouse just in time to put Ej to bed.

Ray gives me a polite smile, his looks resembling Taz. They were like twins, it's just Ray was a bit taller. "Girl, nonsense. Just cuz my eyes be blurring, don't mean I can't drive. I've been driving since this giant here, was in diapers." He says, pointing at Taz, which made him smile. "And since Martin Luther King Jr. asked me to march with him from Selma to Montgomery."

His wife, Angela sucked her teeth and smacked him in the back of his head. Everyone that is watching laughs. These two were really funny together. They were the ones that lightened up the mood around the place. "Now, Ray you know damn well Martin didn't ask you to march with him. You're fifty-five got dang years old. You were born in 1965 fool. Martin couldn't ask you to do such a thing, because you were a baby."

Ray rolled his eyes at her, but not before glaring at his grandkids, Romeo and Adrienne. It was hard getting Romeo to come out of his bedroom, but Angela didn't waste any time pulling him by the ear and dragging him downstairs. One thing that I learned about Grandparents today, is that they didn't play. "Y'all gon sit your asses here and laugh as she abuses me. That's crazy. I'm the one that gives y'all money!"

Romeo gives his grandfather a flat look. "A dollar isn't money grandpa."

"The hell it ain't!" All three grandparents exclaim at the same time.

"There's something really wrong with your generation." Claudet, Tara's mother says, shaking her head.

"It's the stupidity that the government put in the air," Angela says, picking up her purse. "Alright, let us be on our way. Everyone bow y'all heads and close your eyes. If I catch anyone peeking, they getting whacked in the head." She says, looking specifically at Romeo.

He raised his hands in surrender, smiling at her sheepishly. "You don't gotta worry about me, grandma. I learned my lesson from the last time I did it."

Angela nods impressed. "That's what I thought." She turns to look at Claudet. "Go ahead, Claud. Start us off."

Claudet clears her throat, before bowing her head and closing her eyes. Everyone else does the same, gathering in a circle. Adrienne grabs my left hand as her father grabs my right. Before my eyes close, I catch a glimpse of Rome's eyes staring at his fathers and I intertwined hands. My eyebrows raise as my head tilts at the unreadable expression on his face. As his eyes finally fall on me, he bows his head.

What was that about?

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom and the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Lord, please watch over Tara as she crosses over to her newest journey. Keep her safe and keep her guided, let her feel our love for as she settles into her new home. Amen."

Amen everyone repeats.

I open my eyes, only to shut them when I realize that they weren't done praying.

Angela starts to pray. "I commend you, Tara, my darling daughter in law to almighty God, and entrust you to your Creator. May you rest in the arms of the Lord who formed you from the dust of the earth. May holy Mary, the angels, and all the saints welcome you now that you have gone forth from this life. May Christ who was crucified for you, bring you freedom and peace. May Christ who died for you admit you into his garden of paradise." She paused, her voice breaking. "May Christ, the true Shepherd, embrace you as one of his flock. May he forgive all your sins, and set you among those he has chosen. May you see your Redeemer face to face, and enjoy the vision of God, forever."