3

"Congratulations, Atty. Sperbund."

Yaya nods and smiles at her co lawyer. She takes her hand and gives it a good and respectful shake. After a grueling three hours of debating in the courtroom, they have finally reached a cease. Getting the better end of the stick, Yaya once again wins her case. 

She turns to her client, a battered wife. She purses a victorious smile at her. Behind her scars and bruises, was a smile that declared hope and new beginnings. She was free. No longer was she going to be fearful of her life in the hands of the person who once promised to protect her. Never will a fist of a grown man leave its mark on her face. She was free, not only from her oppressor but also from the fear that consumed her from the inside out. 

"Thank you so much!"

With tears springing out of her eyes, she engulfs Yaya in a tight grateful hug. Her tears stained Yaya's caramel blazer, but she only smiled in awe and hugged her back. She runs her hand up and down her client's back, trying to soothe her. 

This is why she does what she does. To help people in need. To bring people the justice they deserved. The world is already too cruel. Equality and equity were no longer enough, justice is needed for each and everyone who are robbed of their voices and their rights. 

After she parts with her client, she goes to her office to finish off a few paperwork. She wanted them done early so that she didn't have to do work at home anymore. It was almost five in the afternoon when she got to her office. She was too engrossed in her work that she didn't notice the time fly by so fast. 

By the time she checked the clock right in front of her, above the door, she was shocked to see it was already almost eight in the evening. Keeping the last of her paperwork, she finally decides to leave. 

To say she was tired was an understatement. She was horribly exhausted, worn out to the bone. She had an extremely busy day today. She had a meeting with a few clients at the early time of eight in the morning. So early she didn't have time to bicker with her favorite neighbor. 

She didn't even have lunch. She had a trial in the afternoon, and she didn't really like to eat whenever she was going to court because it made her stomach sick for some unknown reason. So, at eight in the evening, just getting off of work, she was beyond starving. Not to mention she was walking like she was a dear in headlights. She's that tired. 

She was lucky she didn't meet an accident in the way she was driving. She basically slumped on the driver's seat, disorientation all over her face as the hunger and the exhaustion take its toll on her. 

She lets out a sigh of relief as she pulls over her driveway. She was dying to whip up whatever meal she can make in under five minutes, and then bury herself in her warm bed right after. 

She drags her tired feet to the front door, her hand rummaging inside her handbag as she tried to fish for her house keys. A good three minutes had passed and she slowly accepts the fact that her keys were nowhere to be found. 

She suddenly wakes up from her trance when she remembers that she had put it on top of the counter, and had forgotten to grab it from there before she left for work. Now fully energized and anxious, she was like an overcharged battery as she feels the adrenaline rush through her. 

"Oh my gosh!" 

She runs her palm over face, feeling the cold radiate from her skin. She takes a step back, then forward until she just paces back and forth in her front porch. 

Struck with an idea, she hurriedly runs to her lawn, to the side of the house. She tries to look for an open window, but she just circled her entire house, totally defeated. Even the back door was shut closed.