Saving a life

°-° Your POV °-°

I was walking down the street, feeling the cold breeze on my cheeks, turning them into a light shade of pink.

I got out of the house to go for a walk. All the exams and hard homework were stressing me. My parents believe that I spend too much time in my house. "Go and take a walk." said my mother "You need some fresh air. The house's atmosphere is boring for you." "But-" I replied. "No buts." Said my dad. I sighed, walked to the door and got out.

As I was thinking that, I didn't realize that I arrived at the park. It was desolated. 'Strange.' I thought, 'It's usually filled with kids here'. I approached a swing and sat on it, moving back and forth lightly.

I took my phone out to see if I had any messages.

Nothing.

I put the phone in my pocket and looked at my feet, thinking of what would I do. Then 'BOOM!'. I looked up and stood up fast, looking at the sides.

A house was on fire.

I ran, tripping a little, but I just kept on running. The more I was near the house, the fire was increasing.

I was paralyzed for a moment. 'I need to go inside. What if there's someone there?' I took off my hoodie and entered.

I looked at the living room. There was no one there. I ran to the kitchen, but left with the same result.

I looked at the stairs and walked up. The second floor was worse than the first one.

"Help!" I heard a girl scream. I tried to look between the fire, but the smoke didn't let me see anything. I heard coughing and a cry. "Where are you?!" I asked. "Last door at the left! Come here fast! Please!".

I ran as fast as I could there. I tried to open the door, but I burnt my hand with the knob. I jerked my hand, letting a growl. I was thinking a way to open the door, and I got one.

I walked backwards...

"1, 2, 3!".

I ran to the door and pushed it with my shoulder with all my might, breaking it and making it fall to the floor, I landing on it.

I got up and saw a girl, curled up with her baby sister not more than 5 months old.

"Get up and let's get out of here!" She got up fast and we reached for the stairs, but there was no exit. "We need to get out from the window." "How?" I peeked out the window, there was a tree near. "Let's get down with that tree, can you do it?" I said, grabbing her shoulder. She looked at her sister, who was still crying, and she looked at me in the eyes. "Okay." I smiled "Good".

We went to the window, and I carried her with her sister to the tree. "Get down fast!" She climbed down without any problem, and ran to the sidewalk, and she looked at me.

'Now me.' I got up on the frame of the window, looking at the tree while trying to reach it, but an explosion made me jump, making me slip and fall. I heard the girl scream.

'Thump', 'Crack'. I was on the ground, groaning in pain. I coughed hard in my hand, feeling a warm liquid on it. I got my hand off my mouth and looked at it. Blood.

I looked at the sky, with sleepy eyes. 'I hope, at least, I'll be remembered by saving them.' I thought, closing my eyes. I heard footsteps, and a boy's voice screaming. "Quick! Help me with her!" And I lost conscience.

~Time skip~

I woke up with a headache, looking at the white ceiling. I tried to sit up, but pain went down my spine. I groaned, laying down on the bed.

"Please stay in bed, we don't want your wound getting worse, do we?" A nurse said.

'Wound? What wound?' I thought.

"W-what wound?" I managed to say. "You have a big deep wound on your back." She replied. "We needed to stitch you 12 times".

'12 times?!'

I got scared, but then a question got in my mind.

"How did I get here?" I asked her. "Oh, a boy like your age brought you here to the emergency room. He had a really worried expression." She answered with a smile.

I blinked a couple of times. "Do you know where he could be?" "He's waiting outside. Do you want me to bring him here?" "Please". The nurse nodded and went out the room. Seconds later she opened the door, letting in a 14 year-old boy, with long black messy hair. He was wearing a navy blue sweater, and a red shirt with a robot on its chest. He had long beige shorts, and a pair of dark brown tennis shoes with yellow laces. And his eyes. They were brown and they had a bright sparkle on them.

I felt my cheeks burn, but I tried to hide it.

"Hi..." He said. "Hi." I replied, acting cool. We went silent for a moment. The nurse looked at me then at him. "I think I will leave you two alone." Said the nurse and got out.

We were still silent.

"Um... what's your... name?" I asked him.

"Hiro." He said. "Hiro Hamada".