Chapter 14

Mia was frantic when she returned to her cottage. Kaagad na hinagilap niya ang kanyang cellphone na nasa loob ng kanyang bag. She didn't waste time, and dialled Josh number.

"Come on, Josh... answer the phone..." she murmured impatiently as she listened to the ringing on the other line. Ilang ring pa muna ang lumipas bago may sumagot sa tawag niya.

"Hello... Mia?" Josh deep voice reverberated on the line.

"Josh..." She pulled a sigh. "I need your help. I need a lawyer..." Hindi na siya nagpaligoy-ligoy pa.

"Hey, what's wrong?" concerned na tanong nito.

Muli siyang napabuntong-hininga. "I have a problem here, Josh. Nandito na ako sa Jasmine Mountain Resort. I already met my mother."

"That's a good news, Mia. You have already fulfilled Tita Gilda's Last Will and Testament."

She didn't care about her inheritance from Gilda at this point in time. She was more concerned about her mother's wellbeing. Micheal wouldn't give her Jasmin. She needed all the help that she could get to be able to be with her mother. So that she could take good care of her and spend their time together.

"Hindi ang tungkol sa bagay na iyan ang itinawag ko sa iyo, Josh. I have a problem here and I need your help," matatag na wika niya. Matagal na silang magkaibigan ni Josh at alam niyang tutulungan siya nito. She could count on him.

"How can I help you, Mia? You know I'm just here if you need me."

She couldn't help but smile. She really could count on Josh anytime. "Like what I said, I'm here already in Jasmine Mountain Resort, Josh. And I've met my mother. But the thing is, people here believed that I'm already dead. They even showed me a death certificate signed by Mama Gilda. And my mother, Jasmin, is sick. She's paralyzed and can't even talk. Now, what I want is to get her so that I can take good care of her. She's the only family I have now. I want us to be together. But the problem is, her stepson won't give my mother's custody to me. He's accusing me to be a con out to extort money from them," mahabang paliwanag niya.

"They believed that you're already dead? And you had a death certificate?"

"Yes," she snapped. "That's what they're insisting to me. Nakita ko mismo ang death certificate."

"Did you verify the authenticity of the document?" Josh asked in his lawyer-like tone.

"Well, I don't know," she heaved a sigh. "It looked authentic, but for sure, it wasn't. You know so well that I'm still alive. So yeah, that bloody death certificate is not true. For sure it was just fabricated." She felt frustrated again. Buti na lamang at kausap niya si Josh ngayon. At least, may napagsusumbungan siya.

"This is a serious matter, Mia. This is forgery, and it's a criminal act. We can sue the person who fabricated your death certificate."

Her teeth gritted in anger. "Yes, we better sue that asshole, Josh," galit na turan niya. "And I need to get my mother, too. I tried to talk to Micheal, but he was vehement in giving my mother's custody to me. I tried to explain to him that I'm Jasmin's daughter, but he won't believe me. Sa halip ay pinagbibintangan niya akong manloloko. It's so frustrating, Josh. Kaya ang balak ko ay idaan na lang sa korte ang pagkuha sa aking ina. I'm the real daughter, the closest kin. Si Micheal ay stepson lamang. I know the court would grant me the custody of my mother."

"It would entail a long process, Mia. Ngayon pa lamang ay sinasabi ko na sa iyo iyan."

Lihim na napamura siya sa narinig. "How long?" Her jaw moved in vehemence.

"Months? Years? It depends on how fast the case will pursue. I don't really know," sagot nito.

She groaned inwardly. Damn Micheal! That bastard would surely give her a hard time even if she would seek the help of the court. But then again, she wouldn't surrender that easy.

"I have no choice, Josh, but to fight," matatag na wika niya. "I'll fight for my right. I'll fight for my mother." Humanda ang Micheal na iyon sa kanya. Hindi siya nito basta-basta mapapasuko.

"If that's what you want, Mia, I'll support you..." There was assurance in Josh' voice.

Nakahinga siya nang maluwag sa narinig. Kung naririto lang sa harapan niya si Josh ay mahigpit na niya itong niyakap. "And I need you here, Josh. Can you please come here?" she pleaded softly.

"Please give me a few days, Mia. I have scheduled court hearings tomorrow and the next few days. But as soon as I cleared my schedule, I'll come for you. Meanwhile, I'll check with public records here in Iloilo about your alleged death certificate."

"Okay..." she softly whispered. She was quite disappointed that Josh couldn't come to Jasmine Mountain Resort asap. She badly needed him. But she had to wait for a few days. It was very frustrating. She heaved a deep sigh.

"I'm sorry, Mia," apologetic na wika nito. "Gustuhin ko mang pumunta riyan ngayon din ay hindi puwede. I can't reschedule my important appointments-"

"It's okay, Josh," she cut him off. "I'll just wait for you, then. Alam ko namang hindi mo ako pababayaang mag-isa rito." But she still couldn't erase her disappointment. Pero wala na siyang magagawa pa kundi ang maghintay. "See you soon."

"Alright, see you soon, Mia!"

"Ingat sa biyahe, Josh. Sige, bye for now. I'll just check on you again..."

"Sige... Bye, Mia..."

As soon as Josh bade goodbye, she ended the call. Nanlalatang napaupo siya sa kama. Ilang araw pa bago makakarating si Josh. What would she do now?

Sunod-sunod na nagpakawala siya nang malalim na buntong-hininga.

The image of her sick mother pierced her mind, and she pitied her. Parang biglang kinuyumos ang kanyang damdamin. Jasmin was sick and she needed care.

Anuman ang mangyari, isa lang ang tiyak. Ipaglalaban niya ang karapatan niya bilang anak ni Jasmin. Ipaglalaban niya ang pagkakataong makasama ito at maalagaan ito habang may panahon pa. To hell with Micheal!

-------------------------------------------------------

I just want to grab this opportunity to greet you, my dear readers, a Merry, Merry Christmas! Enjoy the yuletide season with your loved ones, friends, and relatives.

Always,
Sharon Rose