Chapter Six

"Did you get everything on the list I sent to you" Aunt Debola asked as Lola unpacked different items from their respective shopping bags.

"I got everything except the oranges; the ones I saw were not worth buying" Lola replied.

Lola have gotten used to grocery shopping for her aunt on occasions like this when her housekeeper goes on her compulsory leave or during emergencies.

There was a certain time one of her housekeeper moved back to the village with her family and her aunt was unable to get suitable replacement for months.

She had resorted to helping her buy necessities and using courier services to help out with deliveries on days when she was too busy to bring them over due to work.

Her aunt is quite eccentric and never agreed to her numerous suggestion of employing a robust domestic staff since money isn't a problem.

She had declined, instead preferring a single middle aged housekeeper to help with basic housekeeping and food preparation.

"Let's prepare ẹ̀fọ́-riro" Aunt Debola said as soon as Lola finished unpacking the vegetables.

Ẹfọ-riro is a local vegetable dish that is native to the Yorùbás of Western Nigeria.

The dish is prepared with vegetables, stock fish, palm oil, locust bean, pepper, crayfish, meat or dish and other seasonings of choice.

The vegetables that can be used in the preparation of this Yorùbá delicacy are "Ẹfọ Shọkọ" or "Ẹfọ Tẹtẹ" popularly known as Green Amaranth in english.

Leafy or frozen spinash can be substituted if these species are not available.

Few minutes later, they settled down to enjoy their ẹfọ-riro with amala.

Àmàlà is made from yam flour; the flour is poured into a pre-boiled water to form solid dough which is then kneaded into a smooth paste.

Aunty Debola enjoys Àmàlà especially when it is eaten with ẹfọ-riro but Lola would rather have hers with Pounded Yam.

Pounded Yam is made from boiled yam pounded into a paste.

"Iyán" as pounded yam is popular called in yoruba is similar to mashed potatoes but mashed and completely smooth with no yam chunks left.

                   ***

"Your hair is still so silky and long after all these years" Lola said while helping her aunt plait them into two big braids.

"I know many ladies whose hair has lost its lushness as they advance in age" Lola added while running her hands through the hair.

"Hmmm, Aunt Debola said in reply.

" That feels good, haven't had someone do that to my hair since Olami"

"Hmmm, she said again.

Elated and a bit curious, Lola continued running her hands through her aunt's hair and they both stayed that way for a while.

"Omolola mi" Her aunt said, breaking the silence.

"You're the daughter I never had and I love you as u would a biological daughter of mine"

"I know you're fiercely independent; you're just like me in that regard"

"I've always wanted to share a story with you and this is as good a time as any"

"You must have heard it in passing or being told that I once had someone everyone though I'll tie the knot with.

Before I could reply, she continued.