No need to feel the sorrow

Carly's POV

It's the day of Jaxson's first therapy opponent and I'm extremely nervous. I'm worried that I may have done something wrong and that I didn't raise him right, but I have Michael here to help calm me down a little bit.

We sit in the waiting room and my leg is nervously up and down. Michael grabs my hand and smiles.

"It'll be okay Car. You have nothing to-

"Jaxson Haze?" We both look up at the nice looking lady who's standing there with a soft smile. Michael stands up and picks up Jaxson. He sets him back on the ground and we walk into a small room with a couch, a chair, and some toys.

Michael and I sit down on the couch and Jaxson starts playing with some of the toys. The lady sits down and extends her hand.

"I'm Dr. Green and it's very nice to meet the both of you. That must be Jaxson." She says and she points to him. I nod my head and we return to our conversation.  "So we are here to help Jaxson with the extreme nightmares he's been having. So can you tell me how long he's been experiencing these?" I clear my throat and begin to talk.

"He's been having them since he was three. He's five now and every night it seems like they're getting worse."

"What do you normally do when he has these?"

"I wake him up and hold him until he stops crying and goes back to sleep."

"Does this work?"

"Most of the time. Some nights he just won't go back to sleep so I'll stay up with him."

"What does your husband do?" Michael and I exchange looks.

"We aren't married, we aren't even a couple. Her and I-"

"It's complicated." I say.

"Is he the father?" She asks.

"Yes I am. I met Jaxson about a week ago."

"You never met your son? Did you know about him?"

"I didn't, but everything is okay now." He says with a smile.

"Okay, do you mind if I sit and talk to him for a while? His normal sessions won't be like this. You won't be in the room with him unless I ask you to be here." I nod my head and she gets up and sits down with him.

"Hi Jaxson I'm Emily." She extends her hand to hi. And he nervously takes it and shakes it. "Do you like cars? Or do you like trucks?" She asks ad she picks up a toy and hands it to him. He rejects her offer and picks up another one.

"I like this one." She smiles.

"That's a good choice." They play for a little while and she starts asking him questions about his sleeping. "So, what time do you go to bed?"

"Sometimes mommy puts me to sleep at eight."

"Can you tell me what your night is like?"

"Mommy likes to read to me and sometimes daddy will sing, but then I have to close my eyes."

"What happens when you close your eyes?"

"Everything goes dark and then I see mommy."

"What happens next?"

"She's talking to someone I don't know. I see daddy too, but that's when it gets scary." My eyes start to water and Michael grabs onto my hand, giving it reassuring squeeze.

"Can you tell me about the scary part?"

"Well mommy and daddy and fighting and then mommy- she-she-"

"It's okay honey. Slow down and take a deep breath." She tells him. I squeeze onto Michael's hand tighter.

"Mommy hurts him for coming back." My heart completely shatters.

"Did your dad leave you?" He shakes his head.

"Mommy never let me see him. I met him this week." He says with a smile.

"When did mommy tell you about your dad?"

"When I was three." My heart sinks in my chest. I'm the reason he's been having these awful nightmares? I stand up and walk out of the room.

My breathing start to get faster and faster. I put my hand over my chest and try to get some air in, but I just can't seem to.