Part 7

.
Part 7
As I find myself next to Matthew in his Bentley I try to shake of the happenings of the day. A slight breeze sends chills down my back.
"You look beautiful tonight." Matthew comments as he slightly looks at me.
With a little bit of Cate’s help, I am dressed in a knee length, cherry red dress with thin straps exposing my shoulders.
“Eyes on the road man!” I tease to hide the fact that I am in a full-on blush.
His devilish laugh fills the space around us as we pull up into his mother’s driveway.
“No need to be nervous.” He says as he places his hand on my thigh, fiddling at the hem of my dress. His warmth comforting.
He gets out of the car to open the door for me and we walk hand-in-hand to the front porch.
His mother opens the door with a smile as wide as the horizon can stretch.
“Welcome my dears.” She says as she takes both me and Matthew into her embrace.  Her perfume only distinctive to her.
“Sophia is almost finished with the supper, but the table is already set. You two can head through so long. I will be there in a bit.” She says walking into the sitting area.
“Sophia is my mother’s caretaker.” Matthew prevents confusion. He leads me into a room with a medium length amber dining table covered with a white tablecloth. The table is set with rose gold utensils, white plates and pink-ish roses as a centerpiece. It was breathtaking.
After dinner Matthew’s mother insisted that he show me the garden and the playground he grew up in. He took me out the back door and my sight is filled with hedges as high as the walls, a garden filled with flowers full in bloom and a playground. Everything lit by the twinkle lights spread around the roof of the house.
“Sorry about my mother, she sometimes gets too excited when I bring a girl home. It has been a while.” He said looking into the distance. “I don’t normally do things like this.”
I did not comment on what he said, instead I walked over to the playground and lay down on the freshly mowed lawn.  Moments pass when he joined me.
"Isn't it bad?” I interrupt the long silence.
"What do you mean?" He asked me with a concerned tone.
"Isn’t it bad that a person can be so broken that she forgets how to cry, the tears are there but you won't let them roll down your cheek? Isn't it bad that no matter how much hurt you feel you just cannot cry anymore? You are so used to just laughing it off as if it is part of a game. If you cry you lose. It is so bad that you cannot even let yourself feel hurt. All because of that one person you lost that meant so fucking much to you. “I answer him with a faint voice, staring into the night sky. I knew this was an ice breaker to see who he really was; he has been hurt so many times before. It was just so easy for him to cover it up.
"Sometimes it gets so bad you don't even allow yourself to feel joy, because as soon as you feel happy and it feels like you’re at a good place in your life something happens and takes it all away from you." I continue.
"Yeah, I understand." He answers as if he was in his own little world, a place far from here.
"What's on your mind?" I ask as I turn onto my side to face him.
"Just that I know your father was a thief"
"Why" I asked, a small smile forming.
"Because he stole the stars and placed them into your eyes." He answered changing the topic, a glimpse of sadness lurking behind his eyes.
"You are such a dork. Do you know that?" I said with a slight giggle.
"Soon I'll be your dork." He answered with an evil smirk on his face.  “Let’s get you home little lamb.”
He walked me to my front door and gave me a little peck on the cheek.
“Thanks for tonight.” I say blushing.
“Thanks to you.” He said as he turned around to walk away. “Till next time.” I hear his voice break through the stillness.
“Till next time.” I whisper underneath my breath.
As soon as I walk into the apartment Cate jumps up from the couch ready to drown me with questions.
“So, are you two together now?” She asks with excitement.
“Not now Cate.” I laugh her of walking to my room.
“But…come on.” She pleads.
“Good night Cate.” I laugh her of as I push her from out of my room shutting my door.