Chapter Two: Eric

"You fly over tonight and you will spend the weekend doing promotion and interviews and then two days leisure, you'll be staying at the Duxington Hotel for your stay and all room service and restaurant use is covered." My manager mark kept going on to me in my living room, worried that I couldn't handle being a different country without him.

        "Mark, I'm from Australia, in fact I know Australia better than you so please let me go pack then check that my girlfriend is packed and you can stop worrying your pretty little face." I said with a wink to calm him before he started hyperventilating.

        "Fine! Just be prompt to the airport."

        "When am I ever not prompt" I replied to him and a concerned look set on his face.

        "Relax buddy it's a joke." He huffed and walked out of the room as I ran my hand through my hair and walked up the huge flight of stairs to check if Carey was packed.

        "Hey sugar!" She said over enthusiastically in her American accent as she bounded over my bed as if it were her own. She wrapped her arms around my neck and let her brunette hair drape around my shoulders, everybody assumed I had a thing for brunettes- I mean they were beautiful, a lot were smart and funny but my best mate Dylan noticed I never went for blondes. I couldn't.

        "Hey you." I smiled sweetly and kissed her forehead. "You nearly packed?" She nodded as ash applied more mascara to her eyelashes and giggled that it ticked her eyes. She may not be the brightest girl, but she would do, I couldn't get myself close enough to her emotionally for it to hurt if it ended, so it would work.

        We had been in the country for nearly twenty-four hours and we hadn't left the hotel room and I had promotion jobs to do the next day, I was lying in bed considering texting Mike or Corey seeing if they wanted to hang then he remembered a few months after winning the wild card four years back they stopped contacting him and the only person he really saw from the old lot was Brooke if they were at the same mixed comps or if she was in LA she crashed at mine. "Take me out to dinner baby" Carey whispered from next to me.

        "I can't be bothered going out Carey." He told her reaching out to get the remote for the television.

        "There's a restaurant on the second floor here, please, it's not that far" she pleaded with him and he reluctantly agreed. "Yay! Let me get changed."She smiled and kissed him on the lips. I chucked a pair of my fancier jeans (basically jeans that didn't have a hole in them) and then I put on my black dress shirt and waited for Carey. She finally emerged from the bathroom  twenty minutes later in a skimpy red dress with matching red lipstick and her hair down and blown into curls, she didn't look beautiful or pretty. "You look sexy" I said to her, she walked over and grabbed my hand as we walked out of the hotel room. "You're not too bad yourself" she smiled.

        "Sir, what will you and you're stunning guest be eating tonight?" the waiter asked, he was smiling but it had looked like he had been working for hours.

        "Carey would like the Chicken Carbonara and could I please have the fish and chips?" the waiter laughed. "Good man. The wait shouldn't be too long." He smiled then walked off towards the counter, I always hated restaurants they were so boring and half of the stuff on the menu was inedible, it's easier at Burger Kind to be yourself and eat something you actually like. About ten minutes later a woman came up behind me with our plates. I couldn't see her face but she had the same generic waitress uniform.

        "Here's the Carbonara ma'am, and here's the fish and chips sir we don't often get orders for that around this side of the restaurant" she smiled looked up then froze. I knew that I knew that voice but somehow my mind was telling me it couldn't be Amy. Amy was never that formal with anyone.

         "Ames" I said and then I didn't know what to think I was so angry with her but seeing her just took me right back to Blue Water High that I could practically hear the waves crashing up to the shore line. She looked scared for a moment then squeaked something along the lines of "Enjoy you meal" she quickly walked back to the kitchen.

        "Do you know her?" Carey asked as if Amy were an old friend, not really caring about the answer. I spent the rest of the meal unable to really eat, I just thought back to the night before I left to go to Rio. How she took me to her room and told me she wanted to me something so I wouldn't forget her. I never forgot her but that night is permanently etched in my memories, it's why I never drink because I lose all self control and start thinking about it and her skin against mine and how I always called her after leaving Blue Water and received no reply. How I always tried to talk to the rest of the group but their numbers had either changed or they were ignoring me too. Brooke had told me they were more closed off with her like they were keeping something from her. About two years ago when I was visiting Australia I even went to Amy's parents house to see here and all I found out was they hadn't talked to her in two years then they slammed the door in my face. I got up and walked to the back of the house looking around for her, I could hear Carey asking questions behind me at the table but I just kept walking. I could hear some of the chef assistants and other waiter s and waitresses say my name and look at me amazed that a pro surfer was in their kitchen. "Where's Amy?" I asked the dude that took our orders.

        "She walked out side, through that door." He pointed to the left and I followed and pushed open the door and was greeted by the cool night air. I saw er standing under the little light to the left of the door across the way from the smokers. She had her arms folded across her chest and her eyes were red.

        "To think I thought we were more than you telling me to 'enjoy my meal'. I said walking closer to her, suddenly angry.

        "What else could I say we haven't spoken in years" she said meekly, so unlike the Amy I once knew. 

        "And whose fault is that?" I asked bitterly.

        "Eric, you have everything you always wanted, you're living what most people dream of." She said looking at me for the first time and we were back to being sixteen on the beach my arms around her, I had to shake it off.

        "No Amy!" I shouted, I didn't mean to and we now had the attention of the smokers but I didn't care, "I don't have everything I always wanted" I said in a lower voice so no one else could hear. "Because the day I met you." I paused unsure whether to finish the sentence. "The day I met you was the day you became everything I always wanted." I couldn't stand there anymore, next to her same familiar smell, her same piercing eyes, her long blonde hair. I left her there and walked back to the kitchen door and hoped I was hearing things when I heard a distant cry.