Chapter Six: Eric

I walked into the hotel room like a zombie. I felt like I was numb from head to toe, as if someone had sucked the life out of me and I was expected to pick up the pieces. Carey sat up from the bed in the darkness of the room and turned on the bedside lamp.

                “Where have you been?” she asked groggily. I looked at her and realized she actually meant nothing to me; I probably had friends from when I was five who evoked more emotion out of me that what she did. “Out.” I replied noncommittally.

                “Well I picked up that much.” She said, sitting up further on the bed. I sat down and kicked off my shoes. “What did you expect, when you started going out with me?” I asked her, not looking in her direction.

                “I don’t know but it wasn’t this, why did you even ask me to come when all you’ve done during this trip is treat me like shit?” I just sat there on the bed, it felt like years ago that I was on the beach with Rachel catching waves like old times and now hours later I’m suddenly a father to a three year old; sitting on a bed with a woman who I don’t love who I’ve just dragged around to the other side of the world.

                This isn’t who I am only I’ve forgotten how to be myself. We were both silent for a few minutes, with only our breathing for background noise. Carey sat up behind me and pulled her knees up to her chest.

                “I always knew that somewhere in the universe my soul mate would be waiting for me and I would be his everything as much as he was mine. And I know that one day I will make a man pine for me like you pine for whoever’s in your eyes when you look at me.”

                “I’m sorry Carey.” And I really was that I couldn’t be the person she wanted me to be. “Will you be okay?” I asked her.

                “Just give me time and I’ll get over you.” She smiled then lay back down in the bed and turned the light off, I got into bed too and despite her just breaking up with me it wasn’t weird at all. When I woke up the next morning with the sun slitting through the curtains Carey’s stuff was gone and her side of the bed was made with a note written on the back of a receipt lying on the pillow.

                I hope you find what you’re looking for –C

                I pulled up three hours later in the driveway of my parent’s house, the rental car had a GPS and told me that I had arrived at my destination thought it didn’t need to remind me, I knew this place like the back of my hand. I saw dad tinkering with some fishing rods sitting on a wooden box in the back of the yard.

                “To what do I owe the honor of being in the presence of a celebrity?” Dad drawled his words with sarcasm and his smile was wide as he stood up and gave me a hug hitting me hard across my back to show affection I’m assuming.

                “Hey Dad, how have you been?”

                “Nothing changes around here Eric and that includes me.” He said sipping a morning beer as I sat on the grass next to him while he continued to re-string his rods. “How have you been? How’s the surfing going?”

                “I’m good and the surfing’s unbelievable, to think I used to go amateur surfing around the corner now I’m with the best.”

                “From what I hear you’re becoming one of the best, so why are you in this neck of the woods?”

                “I’m doing surfing promotions and advice.”

                “I’m not good at the promotion stuff but I’ll give the advice a shot.”

                I took a breath unsure where to begin.

                “Do you remember Amy?”

                “The girl you wouldn’t stop talking about on the phone when you went to Blue Water High?”

                “Yeah, she had a kid.”

                “Really? She’s a few months younger than you isn’t she?”

                “Yeah, she had her kid nearly four years ago.”

                He took another sip of his beer “People change son, you think you know someone when….”

                “-Dad! The kid’s mine.” I cut him off.

                His beer spat out of his mouth and he started coughing his fingers tightening around the rod. “You knew about this for how long?”

                “I just found out yesterday.” He began to sip his beer again and continued to pick up the next rod. “Is it a boy or a girl?”

                “Girl, her name is Lea, she is beautiful.” He nodded so I continued. “I don’t know what to do Dad.”

                “Well you don’t really have a choice do you? You decided to sleep with her so I’m sure you can decide what to do next.”

                “You are no help to me whatsoever.”

                “Your heart will forever be with that child.” He said simply, though he was just pissing me off because he may as well be talking Japanese for all the sense it was making to me.

                “What if she hates me?”

                “Having a child does not make you a father Eric, but if you have never been hated by your child at one point you have never been a parent.”

                “God, Dad you’re not making any sense! You’re talking a load of bullshit.” I said and started walking off towards the house. “Don’t forget to tell your mother she’s a granny.” He said and he sipped his beer again, maybe that was what he tried and failed to say to me. As much as he may piss me off and make me want to hate him, your parents just know you love them more than the hate.

                I arrived at Amy’s house that afternoon; I knocked on the front door then sat on the front step when I realized no one was home. I only had to wait twenty minutes until a car pulled up and Amy came out with her hair in a bun and a pink top with shorts on, she was amazing and she didn’t have to try it was just the way she held herself that made her so memorizing.

                “Hey” she said and sat down next to me. I smiled slightly and ran my hands together unsure of what to say first.

                “How’s Lea?”

                “Good, she’s at kindy. I finally got her to bed last night after a million questions about you.” I smiled and we sat in silence for another few minutes.

                “Every time I look at you I can’t help but wonder why you picked me.” I said and she smiled and looked up at the sky.

                “You made me happy.”  I smiled back at her and again we sat in silence, but it was nice this time like I wasn’t looking for anything to say and she wasn’t either.

                “What do you want from me Amy?”

                “I want you to hug me and then tell me that everything’s going to be alright.”

                So I stood up and I grabbed Amy’s hand and helped her up and gave her a hug.

                After the hug which felt like it lasted forever, we looked at each other eyes and we both knew what was going to happen next. We finally kissed after four years of being apart. And now it felt like we we’re one happy family. We kissed one big kiss and went inside to our house.