23. Christopher's Decision

Christopher

As a boy, Christopher learned that men like him were supposed to be gentlemen. He was not to lie, be respectful as always, and treat women with the highest regard.

Though Christopher no longer was what his father had wanted him to be, Christopher promised himself that he would remain a gentleman. He would not lower himself to be a horrible human being like he had seen.

But because of this, the decision to tell Anne of his forbidden kiss with Ailsa was even harder.

Lying was against what Christopher wanted to be, but he couldn't help but argue that keeping this from her might be the best option.

After all, Ailsa was only staying for three days, and Christopher made it clear what he wanted.

Christopher knew Ailsa had things in mind to make herself irresistible. She was so determined to be what Christopher needed, but couldn't she understand that she wasn't?

It was true that Ailsa was beautiful, and Ailsa was not a dumb woman, she knew what she wanted, and she wanted Christopher.

He could see that. But just ignoring each obstacle that Ailsa put in front of him was a lot different than the one about telling Anne.

But she didn't have to know. No one did. And if Christopher knew Ailsa, he knew she wouldn't be so stupid as to tell Anne about their kiss. That would only make her seem so average and careless.

Alisa was the best, and like the best, she would win Christopher over by her charm and wit. She wanted Christopher to come crawling back to her. She wanted him to see that he needed her, but he didn't.

He had Anne, and he intended to keep her.

But would Anne stay with him after he told her about what happened? Could he even tell her what happened?

Christopher's head hurt thinking about this as he climbed up the steps to the library where he could once again see Anne's beautiful face and kiss her sweet lips.

Being instantly reminded of kissing Anne, Christopher wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

He felt disgusted with himself. Even though he wasn't the one who kissed Ailsa, Christopher felt disgusted. It only made a better reason to tell Anne.

But no, Christopher had to keep it to himself. The kiss came out of nowhere, and Christopher would make sure that something like that would never happen again.

Never.

Even if Christopher were a gentleman, one little lie wouldn't hurt anything. And this was a lie he needed to keep, for Anne's sake.

But if Christopher were to able to explain the kiss, how would Anne understand the things Ailsa was doing?

Could he explain every flirty gesture? Every look? Every touch?

Probably not, but he hoped it wouldn't come to that.

What Christopher was doing was right. He felt confident in what he was doing. No, he wouldn't tell Anne about that kiss, but that didn't make him feel any less guilty.

***

"Look who arrived, " Tristan said as he watched Christopher walk in.

"Yes, yes. Hold your applause. I know how wonderful it is to be in the same room as me, but please contain yourself, " Christopher said to Tristan, who was sitting on the sofa, slapping a hand on his shoulder. "How are you doing, Twist?"

"Fine, fine. Now tell me, what is this about ye wetting yourself? Anne said that the old captain said you wet yourself when you had a bit of much. Have bladder issues, Chrissy?"