Chapter 13

Pearl's POV:

    I balanced the flask I was carrying on one hand and pressed the doorbell. Moments later, the door opened and a raven haired woman in probably her late forties stood, smiling in front of me.

   "Hello." She beamed.

"...........Hi, I'm Pearl Hastings. I live next door. You must be Mrs Montgomery."

   "Oh, no no." She said and just then Jace appeared behind her, "I'll take it from here, Maggie."

  "Alright, alright. I'm leaving." She smiled at me and said, "It was nice to meet you, Pearl." With that, she whisked her way around me with a black medium sized bag in hand and walked swiftly to the elevator.

  I turned back to Jace who smiled and said, "You may enter." In a posh voice. Walking behind him, I asked, "Who was that?"

   "My abuelita."

  "Your grandma?"

  Jace stopped in what looked like the living room, "What? No!"

   "But that's what abuelita stands for." I pointed out.

   "Is it?" He asked, looking utterly clueless. "Yeah, I think so." I answered with a teasing smile.

   "Well, shit! That was embarrassing."

  "Yeah, it was."I laughed.

He chuckled, " Anyways, she's my nanny."

  "Right, your nanny." I said with the most serious face I could muster. He chuckled, "Seriously, how else do you think this place still exists? Left to me, it would have been burnt to the ground by now." He explained.

  I wanted to ask him about his parents but didn't want to seem nosy so I went for something else, "Here looks nice." He planted himself on the couch, "Thanks." He gestured for me to sit.

   I sat down and placed the flask on my lap, "What of Jordan?"

   "What about Jordan?" He asked as he flipped through channels. "Where is he?" I asked. He paused to look at me, "Since when do you care about his whereabouts?"

  I rolled my eyes, "Would you just get him, please?"

  He hesitated a bit, "Uhm, sure." He walked over to the stairs and yelled, "Jordan, come down for a minute!!" He walked back to sit on the couch, "So.....how was detention?" He asked, sounding curious. "You shou---"

    I was cut off by Jordan as he descended the stairs. He yelled, "What?" He stopped when he noticed my presence."What are you doing here?"He asked.

  I stood up from where I was sitting, "I came to give you this." I walked over to him and stretched  out the flask to him, "Here you go."

  He looked confused, "Why are you giving this to me?"

   "Well, my mum came home from work and noticed my car was missing and also my wet clothes so I had to explain everything to her and how you helped me. She thought it would be polite I gave you some of the soup she made for me to prevent you from catching a cold, so......here." I outstretched the flask for him to collect but he just stared at it.

  "That is so nice of your mum but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna catch a cold." He stuffed his pocket with his hands.

  "Okay but I really need you to take it. Throw it away if you want to but just take it."

   "Why?" He asked suspiciously.

  "My mum would not let me into the house till you take it and also because this way, I don't feel like I owe you. I can go back to calling you names without feeling guilty about it. So, will you take it......please?" I stared up at him and he was staring back at me intensely as if trying to read something off me.