Chapter 8

Annabelle

7:00 am Wednesday 3rd June

"Fuck Maddi, he is going to be here in 15 minutes! What do I do? What do I even say? Do I ask if he wants a coffee when I get one? Do I even sit in the front seat? This is so god damn confusing why did Dad need to do this. Please help me!" By this point in our one-hour phone call, I am screaming into the phone that is currently sitting on my vanity. I have been in my wardrobe and my room all morning, trying to figure out what to wear or even how to do my hair and makeup.

"Okay, put me on facetime. This is a conversation/motivational talk that needs to be made face-to-face." Swiping the phone call up, I press the video call button. As soon as I do that, within seconds I can see Maddi. She is still at work, but she is on her break, but it is somehow comforting seeing her in the purple scrubs with her hair all pulled back into braids.

"What did you end up picking for clothes today? We talked about that dress you have been saving but you thought it was too fancy."

"I'll stand back, hold on." Walking back from the phone's stand, I steady myself so that Maddi can see the full length of my body. Considering I am wearing heels, she can actually see the whole look. "Okay, here you go. I decided on that dress. If I was saving it for a time to impress someone, it's going to be today. I just hope it's not too much. I put on my comfy heels, at least they look good with it. But I feel way too much like an air hostess in this dress and especially this hair." I've had this dress since January. I bought it for a special occasion that never arose. It's a gorgeous, slim-fitting pencil dress by Review. It's bright red with small white flowers splattered around randomly. The neckline shows a V that almost draws upon inappropriate, but fortunately, I have no chest, so that will never be a problem. I pulled my hair back into a low ballet bun. I even put some diamante pins into the side of it to put a little extra effort in. The finishing touch to the look is the pair of diamond earring's that Andrew gave me when I graduated University. They are small orbs covered with the precious gem, almost forming a disco ball.

"Anna, I have seen your way more dressed up than this for school. At least at your school, everyone dresses up, it's not a random occurrence that is going to draw too much attention. I personally think you look mighty fine and if I was your bodyguard, I would snatch you up and push you against the car and have a full-on make-out sesh with you. Just flaunt what you got please Anna. Your hot, he's hot, just go with the flow."

"Okay first, that make out comment, weird but never going to happen. Secondly, how is it that as soon as I hear you getting angry at me for being annoying, I feel better."

Quickly, turning around in my wardrobe, I hear a rumbling of an SUV driving outside. Running to the window with my phone, I look at the window and my stomach drops. I think I'm going to be sick. "Fuck he's early! Maddi oh my god, I can't do this."

Watching as he makes his way to my building entrance, I remember all too well the look of his toned body. Although in his polo shirt, his arms look even better than they did on Monday, don't know how that's even possible.

"Does he look hot?" Maddi brings me back to life with this question and I must sound puzzled because as soon as I make whatever noise you could call it; she repeats the exact same question just a lot louder. "Is he hot Annabelle? Answer me before he gets there!"

"Yes, good god yes! Maddi, he is like a perfectly carved Greek God, but he's shaved his face. He looks a little younger than he did on Monday. I liked the stubble. Maddi fuck I have to go. I still have to put lipstick on before he gets to the door. I'll text you later. Love you."

And with that, I hang up and race to my makeup vanity. Pulling out my lipstick drawer, I find my favourite lipstick by Ilia. I love that it's called Arabian Knights. Hopefully, this choice helps with things with my own personal knight. Swiping it on, perfectly considering the rush, I quickly look in the mirror. I barely look in the mirror for ten seconds before the knock at the door.

I'm not used to someone knocking. Normally my only visitors are family or Maddi, and half the time she just barges in without even bothering to knock or even say anything.

With my heels clicking towards the door, he will be able to hear me coming. As soon as I open this door and let him into my life, everything changes. It changes for me and him.

Unlocking the door and moving the chain, I swing open the door and there he is. Looking as fine as he did on Monday, although I'm going out on a limb and saying that I like this more casual look better. He's wearing an all-black Ralph Lauren Polo with cuffs of the short sleeves tight around his biceps. Those biceps alone would make me swoon. And with a very quick scan of his lower body, I notice black jeans and with black boots underneath. How can anybody be this good looking whilst wearing such effortless clothes?

My brain is yelling at me by now to say something before he thinks I'm weird. "Good morning, come on in. I just have to grab my bag and a few things then I am good to go. Please make yourself comfy." Wow, that was way more cheerful than I intended. Making his way into the apartment, I catch sight of the beautiful behind in those jeans. God, I'm salivating, not good!

"Good morning Ms Kerr. Thank you but I'm okay for now. I will make myself at home this afternoon after the day is done." I hate that he is calling me Ms Kerr. That needs to change and fast.

"Please call me anything other than that. I get called that and so many other things all day, which you will see very shortly. Please call me Annabelle or Anna." Shit, he tenses as if I've just yelled at him.

"Of course, sorry Anna. There are so many things we are going to have to learn over the next few weeks."

"Not a problem. Okay, I just have to grab my lunchbox, computer bag and handbag and we are good to go. Do you have lunch sorted?" Please say you do because I have next to no food here.

"Yes, I do. I made sure I did. You wouldn't like to see my hungry, especially on day 1." I giggle at what he says. He's funny. The kids will like that.

Grabbing my lunch box from the fridge and my two bags from the kitchen table, I wander over to where Johnson stands near the entranceway. "Okay, I'm all set. Are you still okay if we get coffee on the way to school?"

"Yeah, that's no problem. Where do you go? I have an inkling you have a favourite place?" Ooh, he is witty and charming, and it's only 7 am. Fuck, this day is going to be interesting.

"Yeah, I do actually. There's a little Italian place not far from here. It is hidden in a small laneway. You'll like it."

Walking out to the car, I notice it is a big SUV. My first hurdle is where to sit in the car. Luckily, that decision is made for me before I even reach the car. Johnson is standing beside the driver's side back seat door. Before I slide into the car, he graciously takes my bright pink lunch bag and school bags from me and puts them in the trunk. Tomorrow I need to remember to make sure I have my phone with me for the drive to school, otherwise, it is going to get very awkward.

He speaks first after five minutes of driving, "So what am I in for today??

"Not going to lie, you and I are going to have a very interesting day."