29

Chapter 29

"Gaius, you look concerned," I observe as I happen to walk with him. His face is set deep with more lines than usual and that look in his eye I've come to see often when Merlin get's into mischief. "You don't know what's going on with Merlin do you?"

"I have an inkling," he admits. "There was a druid girl that a bounty hunter brought in yesterday for Uther, but she's escaped."

"And you think Merlin did it?"

"I fear so."

"You fear so?" I question. "I know that it's a risk but if she escaped then all is well right? Merlin wasn't caught."

"The bounty hunter saw two figures running away. He's inspecting everybody on the palace grounds and the lower town."

That would make sense, the food he stole and why he was in a rush. I hold my tongue though, not wanting to spill the secret to Gaius. It is Merlin's secret to tell if he wishes.

"I'm sure it will all be fine, Gaius. If Merlin can do one thing, it's sneak around," I offer in a light voice.

"Bounty hunters are dangerous, Elena. Don't get dragged into this is Merlin has anything to do with it. I want you, and preferably him to stay out of it.

"I promise."

Xx

"Have you heard about the druid girl," Morgana asks as Gwen cleans around her room. Morgana is standing in front of her mirror, admiring the dress I've been working on for her. It's a lovely green that compliments her skin beautifully, if I do say so myself. I tug on it, ensuring the fit is right.

"The one that escaped?" I ask.

"Yes. Uther said that the bounty hunter believes her to be cursed," Morgana informs.

"What type of curse?" Gwen wonders, a hint of concern slipping through. Morgana shrugs absent minded.

"He didn't say, only that the druid camp threw her out. But they are doing rounds, looking for the person that helped her."

Gaius didn't say anything about a curse. That makes me wonder if Merlin has any idea. MY mind runs through any curses I've come across in reading or past adventures, but they all relate to poisoning or being enchanted. It doesn't seem to fit the scenario. Druids are peaceful, and to throw out somebody, one of their own, must mean they feared for the safety of their own.

Now I fear for Merlin's.

On my way through the day I keep an eye out for Merlin but he must be busy with his chores or somewhere else as I don't see him at all. I do however, run into the bounty hunter who is being accompanied by three guards, inspecting everybody he runs into.

He had looked me up and down for a moment longer than I liked, eyeing me off suspiciously but eventually shook his head and I let out a huff of air as soon as they passed.

The night has come and by now I'm antsy to see Merlin and question him about what he's been up to. There's still no sign of him so I give up for the night, walking back to return to my chambers.

As I wander up from the lower part of the castle, I see Halig – the bounty hunter – and his guards dragging a familiar boy along the corridor. Merlin resists their tugs on his arms as they lead him down the corridor towards the cells.

"What on earth..." I murmur, dropping all thoughts of dinner. Before I can do anything, they've moved out of sight. Knowing my efforts against them as a serving girl is fruitless, I sprint up to the one person with authority I can talk to.