twenty-two.

╔═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╗

𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨: 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐜𝐤 𝐨𝐧 𝐰𝐨𝐨𝐝

𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨: 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐜𝐤
𝐨𝐧 𝐰𝐨𝐨𝐝.

╚═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╝

"I'm not pressing charges."

"And why the hell not?"

"Because, he just had too much drink. He has a so──"

"I don't care if he has twelve children, Madeline! Scott Rice attacked you and caused us a miscarriage!"

"We don't know that yet!" 

She had the last say or yell rather. 

Maddie squeezed her eyes shut for a moment. 

This wasn't happening right now. 

This couldn't be happening right now. 

She focused on her hands which were neatly perched on her lap as they waited for the test results. Kelly sat across from her on the plastic chair, his jaw tense and brows furrowed. It was ten in the evening and they were inside Dr. Corden's office determining if they still had a baby when they should have been laughing with their friends instead. 

Maddie bit her bottom lip and muttered, "I didn't fall that hard. I promise." 

Before Kelly could fire back a reply, Dr. Corden came in and gave the couple a smile. "I come with good news, rabbits!" She announced, her blonde ponytail swinging as she looked between the two. "So, Maddie, the female body is designed to protect the fetus during pregnancy through the thick uterus walls, the amniotic fluid which serves as a cushion, and the strong muscles. Your uterus is safe──the baby is safe──because it's tucked behind the pelvic bone during the first trimester so there is nothing to worry about." 

Maddie could feel the fear leave her body as she leaned back and sighed in relief. She hopped off the examination table and placed her civilian clothes back. After thanking Dr. Corden, they made their way through the hospital and back to Kelly's Mustang in silence. 

It was surreal how they were scared to death then overjoyed then scared to death all over again in the span of two days. Maddie was scared for two reasons:

1. She had almost lost their baby.

2. She hadn't seen Kelly so violent and ready to beat someone to a pulp until tonight.