thirty.

╔═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╗

 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲: 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞!

𝐢𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞!

╚═══*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═══╝

Kelly Severide ─ a man of few words ─ had a lot to say about this moment. 

It was indeed magical. Extraordinary. Unimaginable. To hold his baby, who was a half of himself and half of the person who he loved the most, in his arms for the first time; to feel delicate hands wrap around his calloused finger; to gaze upon unfocused blue eyes that seemed to say I'm new to this life stuff, I need you. 

"It's okay. I've got you." Kelly said, breathless and in awe.

He understood now why parents desperately pleaded him to save their child, why some dared to run back to a burning building, why that father died saving his children (he laid on top of them to make sure they would be safe and sound). Kelly understood now; he'd do it in a heartbeat too. 

He heard Maddie moan from the hospital bed, the pain meds and exhaustion from delivering a tiny human taking it's toll on her. Slowly, he made his way to where she was, making sure to support the baby's neck. Kelly shifted his arms so that his wife could see the baby ─ their baby. "And, this is your mom. She's the most amazing person I know." 

"Hi." Maddie's voice broke, happiness and fear and excitement all stringed into one single phrase, "Hey there, langga (dear/love). Oh, Kelly, those are your eyes!"

During the skin-to-skin contact, Maddie felt like she was actually a mom ─ someone's mama. She read about skin-to-skin contact and how it helped the baby's heartbeat and breathing because they were so new to the world. They never tell you just how needed you felt and how it was like your first time communicating with them. She wanted to tell the baby that she already loved them and that every single cell in their body was perfect in a way they'd understand. 

Their baby was restless as it laid right on her bare sternum. Little arms flinging around, little feet kicking, and a strong cry from their mouth. When Maddie placed her hand softly on their head, the action sent tingles to her palm.

"Shhh. . .I won't let anything hurt you, my love. I got you." She cooed, oblivious that her husband had uttered similar words just a few seconds ago. 

Kelly snaked his arms around her and they stayed in that position for awhile. Him holding his now family of three in his arms and Maddie cradling their beautiful baby who was already changing their lives so much in just a few minutes. 

She felt a kiss pressed to the top of her head and looked up to see Kelly ─ her person ─ looking at her with so much love in his eyes. Maddie wondered if he too could decipher that her love for him had just deepened. He probably already knew but she felt like she needed to tell him anyway. "Hey, Kelly, I love you."