Chapter 1

This part is obviously just the set up for the rest of the story, so I'm sorry if it's slow!! The next chapter is all action and far more character introductions. Thank you!

With a crisp breeze that blows softly in the wind, the scent of the flowers from the garden reach your nostrils, making you feel a sense of comfort to ease your troubled soul. 'Autumn is finally approaching I see.' You internalize. The sight of the royal garden beneath you from the balcony makes you feel sad, knowing you wouldn't be able to leave your room for a long time now. As fall approaches and the wedding day comes closer and closer for your father, you can't help but feel weary about the woman who had come into your lives.

She had come from a far-off land during a celebration your family held for all those of royal families to attend. It was due to a 200 year anniversary of peace and security throughout the kingdom and the inner cities. No creatures from the outside have dared enter Ohutus throughout those 200 years, and many have trusted the barriers that had been put in place, along with the royal family that had built it. That family would be yours.

It was known throughout the many different lands that your family had built the largest and strongest stone barrier, and many had praised your great-great-great-grandfather for creating such a large fortification that had endured the creatures lurking outside. Because of it, he was placed as king 200 years ago.

With such an attraction and a title of 'The Kingdom of Safety', Ohutus has caught the eyes of many, including the woman who was destined to marry your father. After all, the Kingdom of Safety has gathered quite the wealth from tourism and an increase of population.

Something about her didn't sit right with you. Sure, she's part of the royal family in Allid (an ally of Ohutus), but she has this strange desire you can sense. Her need to show very public displays of affection in front of the kingdom with your father (as if trying to prove something), her need to butt-in whenever father is talking about trades or other important business and try to dictate the situation... It just doesn't seem right. Not to even mention her strange disdain for you and for monsters. She's very public about her hatred of monsters, although half of the population of Ohutus is monster based. Which is why father has tried to keep you hidden from her at all costs. Well... He always tries to keep you hidden, especially that side of you. No one knows of your situation other than Father and only the most trusted members of staff. No one needed to know. It was only a danger. You were only a danger.

"Princess?" You jumped and clutched the guard rail, accidentally cracking it a little. "Oh! Grayson, it's just you..." You breathed out. He smiles endearingly towards you. "Only me, Princess." You giggle and take his arm he was holding out to you. "I told you, Grayson. You don't have to call me princess. You've raised me since I was a child." He hummed as he walked you out of your room and to the dining hall. "Well, you know the rules, your Majesty." You groaned and continued to walk down the long and empty corridor.

"...Hey, Grayson? How long do you think I'll be grounded to my room for?" You could see the sad glint in his dark brown eyes. "Now, your Majesty, you know it's only a safety precaution your father set in... But... I'm not sure, (Y/n). With your father getting married to Miss Evelyn... and knowing her feelings about monsters, I'm afraid your father may try to keep you hidden away to protect you." You sighed deeply, a little bit of annoyance bubbling up. "More than he already has? How much more protection would someone who's able to breathe fire need?" You answer rhetorically. He only shakes his head with a disapproving look. "Miss (Y/n), don't let Miss Evelyn hear you say that. Much less your father. You know how he would feel to know you don't approve of his partner, and that you were mentioning your situation." You frown sadly, knowing that he was right. You do have to admit, Father does seem much happier now that he has someone he's seeing. You loved your father dearly, you just wish he'd be more understanding of your situation.