Sugar-Free

Felix scooped the last of the bowls off the countertop before turning to the direction of the kitchen table. 

He was quickly stopped by his wife, Tamora Calhoun, who gave him a quick peck on the cheek and popped a lone strawberry slice into his mouth.

Chewing happily, Felix entered the dining room and placed the bowls in the last two vacant spots. Since the dining table was set for all fifteen racers, he and Tamora would eat sitting on the couch and use the coffee table.

Swallowing the last of the strawberry fruit, he inhaled and hollered: "BREAKFAST!"

Instinctively, he flattened himself against the apartment wall as the sea of hungry racers barreled past. 

They fought with one another for seats, even though there was technically enough room for all of them. 

Eventually, when the dust settled, the racers were calm enough to stare into their bowls at their meals.

Felix puffed up his chest and awaited the surefire praise that was soon to come for helping prepare and serve this delicious, nutritious breakfast.

Alas, it was not so.

"OATMEAL!?" Taffeta screeched. 

Felix winced as the pink-candy racer's voice hit his pixilated eardrums.

"No cereal?" The pumpkin-themed racer said, shocked.

"No sugar?" Candlehead gasped, looking downright sick.

"No, no! There is sugar! See?" Felix motioned inside of his own bowl.

"THAT'S JUST FRUIT!"

Taffeta pushed her bowl away with the tip of her pinkie finger, a disgusted look on her face.

"But fruit does have sugar?" Felix said, his statement sounding more like a question.

"WE WANT CANDY!" The racers hollered. "WE WANT CANDY!"

"But no one eats candy for breakfast...!" Felix's voice was drowned out by the chanting. 

The handyman had to duck as a bowl was hurled at him and smashed violently against the pixilated wall.

"WE WANT CANDY! WE WANT SUAGR!! NO OATMEAL!!!" The racers screamed, their voices combined sounding possessed.

"WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?"

The voices stopped. In the kitchen doorway stood Sgt. Calhoun, wearing her standard cybug-fighting gear, complete with a long, pink apron that read: Kiss the cook, if you know what's good for you!

She looked terrifying.

"H-honey? The kids don't want to eat the oatmeal..." Felix explained, as if it wasn't painfully obvious.

Tamora's eyes traveled from her husband, to the oatmeal dripping down the wall, finally resting on the racers themselves. 

They gulped, audibly.

She started forward, her own bowl in her palm.

"Listen up, rookies. You are guests here. You wanna eat? You eat what we serve!"

She slammed the bowl in front of the racer who had thrown their oatmeal at Felix.

"If any of you punks want a sugary breakfast, make it yourself. The kitchen's open!"

Nobody made a move to get up from the table.

"Didn't think so. Now..." She picked up a spoon and handed it to the nearest avatar. "Eat." 

She smiled sweetly at the poor racer, who with trembling hands took the spoon and began to eat the oatmeal.

The rest followed suit, and all the noise that followed came solely from the sounds of spoons clinking against pixilated china.

Felix watched in amazement as his wife sauntered over to him. She tapped his shoulder, breaking the spell. "C'mon. Let's go over to the couch."

"Yes ma'am!"

Authors note: What can I say? Tamora's a badass. Don't mess with her!!!