Fish Bone: Pet Cats

The alley had never seemed so full of cats before. Not that four cats was very many but it was more than usual. Even if they were just passing through.

"Eww. I just stepped in a puddle!" 

"Oh yeah? How about a bath then?"

"No way! Stop it! I'll show you!"

"Cut it out you two!" Fish Bone snapped, wheeling around to glare at two tom cats trying to shove each other into a shallow puddle. "Stop behaving like kittens!"

"We're just having fun stray," one defended. "Don't be so serious."

Fish Bone sighed. Why had he even bothered asking these two idiotic pets?

The two tabby toms, Lucky and Ducky, acted like overgrown kits. Pampered by their owners into being spoilt brats.

They will never make it in The Tribe Of Crashing Waves his mind grumbled. 

He glanced over at the other two. Both were she-cats, one a pure white she cat with a pink collar called Rose, the other a smudgy white and black one called Ink.

They looked a lot calmer and respectful. If they made it through the meeting he would be happy to have them in the Tribe. 

Rose had a surprisingly muscular frame, she would be a good fighter. And Ink's more slender, light frame would make her a good hunter.

Lucky and Ducky on the other paw, appeared to be all fat and fur.

* * *

"This is our camp," Fish Bone said, leading them through the ferns. "If you join the Tribe you will frequently be here. At the moment we haven't made any dens or cleaned anything out yet so no touching or messing with anything."

He looked directly at Lucky and Ducky.

"Got it?"

"Yeah yeah," Lucky muttered.

"Fish Bone!" Hay Stalk called from the middle of the clearing, where a large group of cats had already gathered. "Glad you could join us! Bring our guests over and let's begin!" 

The five of them joined the group, Lucky and Ducky pushing their way to the front so that they were right in front of the Tribe Leader.

Hay Stalk began to speak, telling of what the Tribe did and how they lived. He spoke of the spirits and the connection to the sea, of the skills they could learn and the rewards they could receive over time.

Many of the guests looked intrigued. Ink and Rose included.

"However, the Tribe life is not for all cats," Hay Stalk warned. " You have to be strong, and fast, and capable of defending yourself. If you can make it to the end of this meeting then you are worthy of joining the Tribe."

With a fearsome yowl he sprang at Lucky, bowling the tabby tom over.

Yes! Fish Bone thought, springing at the wailing Ducky. This will prove if you are capable of living in the Tribe! All you have to do is last!